Ringing String

ukarere

Reaction score
I got a new Lanikai Tenor for Christmas and it has been awesome, but today whenever I would play an open G the string would sort of buzz. Any ideas of whats wrong? :confused:

It is an S-T. If it's the tuners how can I fix that?

it may also be that the nut slot is a little bit wide. try putting a little piece of paper in the slot under the string.

I thought so. Solid spruce top, laminated back and sides tenor size. I have a baritone in that model and it is very nice sounding. But the tuners vibrated like crazy. Similar issue on my grandson's concert size in the same model. When I shook either uke I could hear rattling inside some of the tuners accounting for the annoying buzzing when open strings were played. A simple fix could be to tighten the screws that attach the tuning knobs to the posts. Someone here recently tried that and it solved the problem. Try that first because it is easy. I replaced the tuners on the concert size. On my uke I took the tuners apart and padded them with slivers of paper. A good solution but time consuming since tightening the screws did not work.

The nut slot is fine. Well I figured out it is the tuner for sure. When I squeze on the tuning peg it stops. Does this mean I need to take it apart like you did? I mean I don't want to mess anything up.

Like Bill, I had a rattling tuner too. Screws were good and tight, and the nut on the face was snugged down properly. I too took mine apart and did the paper trick and it works great now.

I'm sure that would fix it but I don't think it would turn out well if I took mine apart. I'll just be careful when I play. Thanks guys!

I had the same problem on my Lanikai S-T, and tried the paper in the nut and tightening the tuner up as much as possible. What I concluded in the end was that the angle of the string passing over the nut is just a bit too low on these ukes for a low-g - the string ends up too straight. The solution I found was to attach the string much slacker, so that when you wind it on you end up with five or six winds on the capstan. That way, the string is coming off the capstan at a much lower point and making a tigher angle on the nut. Cured the problem for me.

Top Bottom