R.I.P Whitney Houston

She was deeply troubled, but incredibly talented, and gone too soon. Her version of the Star Spangled Banner still remains my favorite.

Never a fan of her music but I recognize a beautiful voice when I hear it-she had it.

Whitney this Whitney that,overpriviliged and spoilt....spare a thought for people who fight for there lives against illness every day.

Yet another senseless, reckless waste of a marvelous gift. Condolences to her family.

Whitney this Whitney that,overpriviliged and spoilt....spare a thought for people who fight for there lives against illness every day.

Cool story bro. Please instruct us further on how to: a) feel about the dead and b) spelling

I can understand Ukueroll's opinion and I can understand anybody who has had to deal with an addict in the family.

Still, you'd rather she would have won the battle and rebounded instead of succumb to drugs and booze.

I can understand Ukueroll's opinion and I can understand anybody who has had to deal with an addict in the family.

Still, you'd rather she would have won the battle and rebounded instead of succumb to drugs and booze.

The opinion is that we should not feel bad that a major American talent has passed because she was a drug addict (even though at least outwardly, she was on the road to recovery according to some).

That opinion is heartless and myopic.

People's attachments to music and musicians has been and will forever be exaggerated to some extent because of the power music has over our lives. Even if she wasn't a star, she was a human being and her passing will be mourned by her friends and family (and millions of fans.) I'm not even a big fan of hers, I'm just irritated about his vitriol.

Moreover a Google search reveals that her family was solidly middle-class, not over-privileged or spoiled. Her fame, wealth, and stardom arose from her (gasp!) talent.

Last edited:
Q: Hey, what's the first thing Whitney is going to do in heaven?

A: Open for Michael Jackson by singing a duet with Amy Winehouse.

(too soon?)

I think the latest reports are saying she might have drowned in the bathtub. So, maybe her addiction was not what killed her?

She did have a jewel of a voice. That National Anthem...wow. Just, wow.

Last edited:
Isn't the opinion that she does not deserve empathy or sympathy, only because she's a celebrity, as bad as denying the same to someone else because they're not a celebrity? How does it make you better to judge who should get the compassion? The trolls never consider that point, they're too busy feeling self-righteous.

There will always be trolls in such situations, struggling every little way they can to feel superior, combing the internet for people they can feel better than.

But besides that, has anyone noticed the "I will always love you" tributes, such as on MTV? How does this make sense? That's Dolly Parton's song. It's like "Here's Whitney's tribute to Dolly Parton, who is still alive and who wrote a very nice song when sung in a softer way" She should get her own tribute with a song properly made for her.

But besides that, has anyone noticed the "I will always love you" tributes, such as on MTV? How does this make sense? That's Dolly Parton's song. It's like "Here's Whitney's tribute to Dolly Parton, who is still alive and who wrote a very nice song when sung in a softer way" She should get her own tribute with a song properly made for her.

Most, if not all, of Whitney's hits were written by other people. I'm sure Dolly doesn't mind.

Last edited:
Most, if not all, of Whitney's hits were written by other people. I'm sure Dolly doesn't mind.

That's not what I meant. I mean they could pick any number of songs written _for_ Whitney.

This isn't a comment on her personally, it's just she butchered that song. Sure technique was fine, that's not the point. It's not a song that sounds good belted out like that, is all. Doesn't anyone remember the dying cat impersonations everyone did when this song came on the radio?

I'm saying out of all the songs to pick, don't pick the one that sounded the worst. Pick one written for her. Otherwise, it's not Whitney's tribute at all. It does her a disservice, using that song.

I heard a radio program on Whitney regarding the "I will always love you" song and #1 Whitney made that song famous even though Dolly had recorded it and #2 apparently the range of notes she hit while singing that song was pretty spectacular and made that song stand out. She had something like a range of three octaves. Me, I think I have about 2/3's of one octave, on a good day. I think it is considered the most famous or maybe made the most $ of any of her other hits.

I heard a radio program on Whitney regarding the "I will always love you" song and #1 Whitney made that song famous even though Dolly had recorded it and #2 apparently the range of notes she hit while singing that song was pretty spectacular and made that song stand out. She had something like a range of three octaves. Me, I think I have about 2/3's of one octave, on a good day. I think it is considered the most famous or maybe made the most $ of any of her other hits.

Yes, all of that is true, and it didn't sound good. I knew I'd get raked for that, but it's true. She never owned that song because she didn't sing it properly. You can throw all the technique at it in the world, you can be hugely talented, and you can sing a song wrongly and ruin it. She just did. It doesn't make her less of a singer and I never said she was. It's just... not her song. She didn't make it better, she didn't make it hers. I guess the youngsters weren't around to remember people's reactions to it at the time.

I don't remember peoples reaction to that song at the time, and I am old enough to remember. I was never a big fan of Whitney's and I always preferred Dollie's version of the song. More heart, less technique.

Top Bottom