Beginners Ukulele?

4.6 Love

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been thinking about learning to play the ukulele for a few months now and they more I think about it, the more encouraged I get. What's a good starter ukulele? I've been looking around ebay, but don't know what I should get? I saw the Mitchell MU70 at guitar center for $100 bucks! Is mitchell any good? It's a 12 fret ukulele! Is having a 18 fret ukulele better than a 12? I currently play the vihuela...thanks for any help...

Miguel..

18 is definately better even if your just starting. try looking online for a Kala. they're cheap and are a relatively good brand. perfect for a beginner.

So you are saying I shouldn't go with the mitchell 12 fret one?

18 is definately better even if your just starting. try looking online for a Kala. they're cheap and are a relatively good brand. perfect for a beginner.
I agree, because when you get good you'll end up needing those extra frets. Plus your saving yourself some time.

Aloha,

Just wanted to add my 5cents.
You know, I am a beginer too.
I have only been playing the Ukulele for 2 years now.
My first Ukulele, I got off ebay for $22 shipping included ( crap, I know... )
I learned alot on the little guy, but as I got better I found myself limitted by only having 12 frets ( it was a soprano, obviously )
My wife got me a Kala Koa Tenor for my birthday last year ( thanks honey:D ), and it is MUCH better.
The whole thing cost like $280.00 for the Ukulele, a hard foam case, taxes, and shipping to Texas.
So, you wouldn't have to save long to be able to get it.
Not like a Kamaka, ( really good brand ) where the tenor is like $1200.00 I think.
Now, even though I am still a beginer, ( wanna be able to play like braddah IZ someday ) I am able to learn more, because I am not limited.
I don't know your age, but most grownups find the tenor size the most comfortable ( I sure do ).
So, to make a long story even longer:p
I think that a tenor, or atleast a concert would be the best thing to start learning on, so you will be able to enjoy it longer, without having that frustration about wanting to advance, but being held back by a short fretboard.
I hope this helps make your decision easier.
Aloha,
Acabooe:cool:

Most people Learn how to play ukulele on a soprano ukulele becuase they are the easiest to find at a guitar or music store. I started playing a soprano ukulele from kala (I think? haha) then when I wanted to get a better and nicer sounding uke, I got my Lanikai Tenor uke. My Lanikai uke has inlaid abalone shell, a pick-up, rosewood fretboard, and its a full body curly koa design. I would go with the Tenor ukulele for a begginner. I think it sounds much nicer and fuller, than any other uke, and I really love the size of them. Its perfect for me. Go with a tenor uke becuase if you get a soprano uke you will want to get another one if you are into it and I think a Tenor uke, would be the best choice. :)

It's kind of weird. Tenors are the big thing now I guess because of Jake. Back when me and Aldrine started playing, the Concert Size was the big thing.

I think I'm gonna go with a concert size...I don't think I'll be needing a 18 fret uke anytime soon...once I learn I'll get one..:)

It's kind of weird. Tenors are the big thing now I guess because of Jake. Back when me and Aldrine started playing, the Concert Size was the big thing.

im actually thinking of selling my tenor to someone at school and buying a Concert or super concert.

I just joined this board a couple of days ago and was wondering what brands of low-end ukulele's to stay away from. All of them? ;-)

I have a Lanikai Bass which is not bad, but it doesn't have a strap so I can't play it standing up. So, sometimes I'm stuck with my $20-30 el-cheapo soprano by Aloha Royal. I would definitely not recommend that brand.

I'm thinking of buying a tenor and was wonder what brands to look for and what to stay away from on the low-end price range. Also, can you play a tenor standing up and walking around without a strap?

I just joined this board a couple of days ago and was wondering what brands of low-end ukulele's to stay away from. All of them? ;-)

I have a Lanikai Bass which is not bad, but it doesn't have a strap so I can't play it standing up. So, sometimes I'm stuck with my $20-30 el-cheapo soprano by Aloha Royal. I would definitely not recommend that brand.

I'm thinking of buying a tenor and was wonder what brands to look for and what to stay away from on the low-end price range. Also, can you play a tenor standing up and walking around without a strap?

U can always get ur ukulele a strap thong tha thong thong thong.
301a_2.JPG

if u like lanikai, u should stick with it. They have a few mahogany models for 100 bucks. Also kala which is a step up from lanikai also with a good selection. not sure about low end models, becuz with those models some may actually sound alright and some may sound terrible even tho ur dealing with the same model.

I got my Kala Koa Tenor for less than $300, and that is the Ukulele, hard foam case, taxes, and shipping to Texas.

As far as a strap, you can use the strap thong if you want, but I personally don't like the look of it.

What I did is drilled a small pilot hole in the tail of my Ukulele, and then screwed in a guitar strap button.

I don't like guitar straps, so my wife made me a special strap, that I can use.
I also put a small loop of cloth under the button for my strap to connect to.

On the headstock, My wife sewed another loop with velcro that the other end can attach to.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

DSC07361.jpg

DSC07360.jpg

DSC07358.jpg

DSC07359.jpg

Aloha
Acabooe

I think you're best off going with a concert, superconcert, or tenor simply because once you get some experience, you may find that you don't have enough frets to play some songs. As for brands, you can't go wrong with Kala, Lanikai, or a lower-end (but still really nice) Pono. If you can go try some out do that, but if not, go for one of those. Hope that helps.

Moak

Thanks for the ukulele advice

Thanks for the advice on brands. I found a soprano Lanikai at a music store this afternoon. I played with it for a little while, but it sounded very weak and stringy. Not sure if I'm explaining that right... anyway, it wasn't much better than what I have now except that it stayed in tune going up the frets. Maybe that's just how sopranos sound?? It was $79. I decided not to get it and look around some more for maybe a concert or tenor at some other stores.

Also, I'm really nervous about drilling a hole in my bass to attach a strap. How do I get/make a strap thong?

Fred, I bought a cheap $50 uke from Costco.com about 6 months ago to see if I would enjoy playing. I saw it mentioned on a forum somewhere with some good comments. I have gotten really good volume and projection out of that thing. The tone is pretty rich for a cheapo uke and after about a week or so the strings pretty much stayed in tune with lot's of playing. No buzzing either! This little concert uke started the fire for me and I just bought a Kanile'a super concert koa today. Point is....cheap is not always so bad to start with if you can find acceptable (temporary) quality. Find one, play it awhile and if you love it...THEN take the plunge. I'm hooked for life !! Already coming down with UAS. Being sick never felt so good though. Aloha.

Top Bottom