Help choosing a new soprano uke?

space

Reaction score
Hi guys :)
I've been playing uke for a year or so now, and I need a new one. My current one is a Stagg-US10, and it's beginning to sound terrible. TBH it cost me 30 bucks, so I should have expected this.
Anyway, I have about $150 to spend on a new one, and I can't choose. I'm stuck, and the only one I have found that is even worth considering is the Tanglewood TU 1 CE, but I know next to nothing about that brand and I can't find reviews anywhere. At the moment my only requirements for a ukulele are : It should stay in tune for an acceptable amount of time. must be soprano, and must have an acceptable build quality. If anyone could give me an opinion on this, I'd be grateful.
:cheers:

If you can go a little higher, this is what I would get if I were you:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-sk-35

This is a solid mahogany soprano ukulele. Some members on the forum refer to it as a future classic. I've played several of them. For the money, they are great. Price includes set-up.

I have the Ohana SK-35 and I love it. It is really a nice-sounding uke and has spoiled me, making my other ukes sound bad in comparison.

Their SK-25 is the same uke without the edge binding and is cheaper. Elderly has it for $135 right now. I personally think it looks nicer - the vintage ukes that I see usually do not have the edge binding.

Do you know if they sell in the UK? I can't seem to find any UK dealers and I don't wanna pay import+shipping

Another brand to consider, with several instruments in your price range, would be Oscar Schmidt. I don't see where you are in your profile, so can't tell if you have a dealer in your area, but Oscar S. has a very user-friendly website. Although I have never owned one, I've visited several of their dealers in Chicago and have been very impressed with the quality of their instruments. They play very well, sound very good, and are lovely to look at. I'm sure, if I were looking in the 150 dollar range, I would buy one.

I am sure Ohana must have dealers in the UK. Ken Middleton is in England, I believe, and works for Ohana, He is a member here. PM Ken and I bet he could steer you in the right direction. Ohana is a great great choice.

Staggs generally aren't inherently "terrible" sounding instruments.
It just comes with terribly cheap strings, which can make it sound a bit dull and plinky.

Try changing the strings to Aquilas.

For $150, it would most likely be a laminate uke, or a really cheap solid-top.
May not provide a huge improvement from the Stagg in sheer acoustic properties.

maybe the market place? Ask here, someone may have one they would sell for that. I am sure there are a few decent sopranos out there that could use some playing love.

The Ohanas are solid top. I'm not knocking other ukes in the $130-$175 price range, but the Ohanas do sound nice.

Mainlands are very nice, too.

I've found a shop that sells the Ohana(http://www.omegamusic.co.uk/shop/music-shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4244&ref=1), so methinks i'm going to go for that with Aquilas (oh and btw my Stagg is fitted with Aquilas.)

That's in pounds though... that's going to run you ~$200 W/O shipping mind you.

At your budget, in American currency, I recommend:

- Makai Soprano Solid Cedar w/ BEAUTIFUL Willow back and sides AND UkeRepublic Setup @ $130:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/makai-lk-80w-cedar-willow

It has enough frets and neck space. for you to progress on as you move to more advanced songs. The solid cedar will sound sound very warm yet articulate/punchy and will sweeten as you play on.

- Ohana SK-22Z Solid Spruce top w/ Zebra wood back and sides AND UkeRepublic Setup @ $140:
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-sk-22z-spruce-zebra-wood-soprano

Again, plenty of neck space and frets for you to progress on. Will sound very bright, amazing in mid-mid high tones, Aquilas might make it too bright, but that's purely subjective.

AAAAAAND. Mimsukes (a very trusted eBay seller who does Setups on ALL the ukes she sells) has GREAT prices on solid wood ukuleles in your price budget, too many for me to list. If you don't care about asthetics, she has some nice B-stock ALL solid ukes at <$150.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...1313&_nkw=uke+setup&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Wish I could help you, however I am not familiar with the european ukulele market..however if you would buy
from the US, there are alot of choices..and I would recommend buying from a reputable dealer who does setups.
Mim, Mainland Mike, MGM, HMS, Uke Republic are a few..good luck and happy strummings.. KPK, Makai, Vineyard,
Ohana, Oscar Schmidt are just a few budget friendly ukes...or bang for the buck.

I have a Luna Pineapple. It cost me about £70 and is LOVELY. It's a laminate, but plays beautifully.

Better to try one out though. At my workshop yesterday I had a go on two Barnes and Mullins - a "Bowley" and a "Spalted Maple". They were both lovely, but I prefer my Luna.

You need to try them and see which one you like. Even if the trip to the shop takes a bit from your budget.

Where are you in the UK? The Southern Ukulele Store have a shop in Boscombe nr. Bournemouth. They also have an online store.

Top Bottom