Have You Reached the stage where you can be happy playing any uke?

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Or Do you have a Favorite go to ukulele??

Mine is still my Rogue soprano by my computer.....but I am happy playing any ukulele......weee

I'm happy playing any uke that is set up well...

I am happy playing any uke but I am finding that I play the concert size a bit more comfortably.

What an excellent question! I am happy playing any ukulele, but I do have favorites over others mostly for their sound properties when playing certain music. For example some sound better strummed, and others finger picked. Some are brighter in tone, and some are warmer. Some "bark" when played and some "ring" like a bell. To further complicate that, I imagine string choice (along with set up) and playing style likely come into the mix. I am not the best player, but I have a lot of fun playing........so I guess I shouldn't complicate matters. I have fun playing any an all uke's!

Yes, because happiness is an inside job, and actually can and should be distinguished from external conditions.

I'm certainly not always happy, but I sure am grateful to have a uke in my hands. If all I had was one of my cheapest beaters, I would really really miss my favorites, but be happy to still have a uke.

I sure can feel the difference in set up, and I prefer concerts and tenors, with slimmer necks. I also like having a light uke that has a lot of sustain and ring, and that is responsive, and which has fat half round frets and bendy strings! So my favorite tenor is my Yasuma, and my favorite concerts are my Donaldson and my Kamaka. So those are my top three.

Last edited:
Yeah im happy playing any uke but its usually on of my tenors i got to.

What an excellent question! I am happy playing any ukulele, but I do have favorites over others mostly for their sound properties when playing certain music. For example some sound better strummed, and others finger picked. Some are brighter in tone, and some are warmer. Some "bark" when played and some "ring" like a bell. To further complicate that, I imagine string choice (along with set up) and playing style likely come into the mix. I am not the best player, but I have a lot of fun playing........so I guess I shouldn't complicate matters. I have fun playing any an all uke's!
+1....
while I am fortunate to have had the oppertunity to play all sizes, and most qualities, I have learned to adjust to
how to playing them where I am satisfied with any uke..even if I am not the best player..I really still like my rogue soprano and it is a daily player..

Aloha Stano,
YOU know I love my Mele Tenor but I play all of my other 17, rotating 4 or 5 at a time almost daily. Soon to be 18 ukes, right?
I know which uke I want for a specific song or picking pattern.............................BO...................

As long as I set it up. I've only been playing since last August, and when I look back on it, I'm stunned by how much I've progressed. It's been less than a year and I'm progressing on jazz chords and learning how to more properly setup ukes. It is a truly wonderful thing to know that I can buy/get any uke at any low price point and set it up to have it play as if it were much more expensive.

I enjoy playing, period.

My daily strummers are getting to be the Vita Uke (although I'm waiting for replacement tuners) and the Firefly, especially for noodling. I'll take the Sceptre out when I really want to feel the music - the resonance is that palpable - or once I've gotten the basics of a song down, and I want to develop how I play it. Overall, I still find the Sceptre to be the one I love the most.

In this weather, however (temps can be anywhere from Zero to 50 Fahrenheit about now, and humidity is super low) I'm not taking the Sceptre out of the house. I'm carrying the Fluke around with me when I go places to play, although the Kala may go to Uke Night on Monday, along with the Firefly.

I'm getting better at a soprano neck (Thanks to the Vita Uke), but Tenor still works best for me. On the other hand, put any tunable ukulele in my hands, and I'll happily play it, until I need to give it back.

Music is the destination - playing the uke is part of the journey.

I'm lovin' the journey.

-Kurt​

The uke that is always ready to play, that I record with most often and take on holiday with me is my old faithful TK-35G. It is definitely my best all-round uke.

I have really downsized in the last year (for the better). Now all the ukes I own get played on a regular basis but my favorite and go to is a well-worn 1970's Kamaka pineapple.

I can be happy playing anything that is well intonated and feels nice. Lately I've been going most to the Kanilea superconcert, but I'm really happy with the ukes I have, and I'd be happy playing anything that hit those feels nice and sounds nice buttons.

Well, I'm happy to play around with any uke, but poor intonation and dead notes make for an unHappy experience. So, I'm in the camp of those who indicate that a good setup makes playing just about any uke a "Happy" experience.

Top Bottom