About a week ago I broke my index strumming fingernail....

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was devasted and just couldn't play without my long nail, but I kept
at it and now I am really comfortable now....maybe it was destiny and luck it happened...
My question....are you comfortable play both ways...with short fingernails and long??

Last edited:
The quick answer is Yes, but if you want to, you can always (medical) tape on an artificial nail to your finger for when you are playing.

Never really had fingernails - I'm an unconscious biter.

But then, I've always used the pads of my fingers and thumb to play, whether Uke, banjo, or guitar - 6 and 12 string. never liked finger picks, and always had trouble holding onto a flat pick.

I guess I'm using the backside of the index and middle fingernails more than I did when I started, but the only time i've ever regretted not having the nails was when I saw a video with Honey (of Bosco and Honey) using the fingernail on the frets to produce a guiro-like sound on her uke.

-Kurt​

Never really had fingernails - I'm an unconscious biter.

But then, I've always used the pads of my fingers and thumb to play, whether Uke, banjo, or guitar - 6 and 12 string. never liked finger picks, and always had trouble holding onto a flat pick.

I guess I'm using the backside of the index and middle fingernails more than I did when I started, but the only time i've ever regretted not having the nails was when I saw a video with Honey (of Bosco and Honey) using the fingernail on the frets to produce a guiro-like sound on her uke.

-Kurt​

I remember the first few days after my nail ripped off, I tried to play and my finger tip felt so sensitive and raw
now it feels better..I guess my skin has toughen up...woo hoo

Aloha Stan,
I'm like Kurt. I keep my nails really short on both hands, and I pick with the pads of my fingers. I was an index finger strummer until I broke the tip of the the middle finger on my strumming hand. When that happened, I learned to strum with my thumb, just to the left of my thumbnail (an unusual place for a callous, I might add). Now that my middle finger is better (although it still doesnt tuck into my palm as well as it used to), I'm actually having trouble converting back to index finger strumming. Fingers toughen up pretty well. The nail on my broken finger tip got a bit long while the finger was healing (the nail actually stopped growing for about a month, and when it started again I was afraid to touch it for a while), and after I cut it short for the first time, the skin underneath was sensitive, but it toughened up quickly.

Aloha Mark,
I too have broken my index fingernail in the past and switched to my middle and ring finger for strumming..
it was still not even close to the same for me.. maybe I should have kept perservering..he he yes on some
strums I use my thumb for up strokes too..always fun learning new techniques to enhance your arsenal of playing.

When we lived in the Caribbean, I had great fingernails. Now that we live in the desert, my nails are much drier and break more easily. I've had to get used to playing with my nails at any length.

I play using nail and flesh and am currently dealing with a splitting thumb nail. I am definitely not as comfortable playing with a short thumb nail. I need to feel the string with the flesh of my fingers, so a thumb pick just doesn't work for me and I don't want to fool around with superglue and fake nails. I'll just wait out the split. It's almost healed.

Anybody use (banjo) finger picks? I haven't but that looks a solution to a broken nail.

I keep the nails short. I cook and play bass, so my burnt/calloused fingertips feel like nails! I find that i get a much more balanced attack fingerpicking with Worth clears, maybe something about the fingertip-to-string friction?

I guess playing the bass has toughened up your finger tips...not sure cooking does, I used to do dat too...in kapahulu...hey you're my neighbor....lots of good places to eat....
Rainbow Drive In, Zippys, L & L drive In...etc even Ted's Burgers... ha ha yum yum

I keep the nails short. I cook and play bass, so my burnt/calloused fingertips feel like nails! I find that i get a much more balanced attack fingerpicking with Worth clears, maybe something about the fingertip-to-string friction?

I too am short nails. but luckily I don't cook my fingers or callouses. interesting that you mention Worth's have more friction. I need to compare that.

Stan, is there any supplement to make you nails stronger? Do you think wearing red lipstick will help.? Try that.

I too am short nails. but luckily I don't cook my fingers or callouses. interesting that you mention Worth's have more friction. I need to compare that.

Stan, is there any supplement to make you nails stronger? Do you think wearing red lipstick will help.? Try that.

Aloha Frankie,
Hee Hee Red Lipstick?? ..Nah that's Katoy stuff.....sorry couldn't help myself.... ha ha Hey You in Singapore now?? Beautiful Place..

I guess playing the bass has toughened up your finger tips...not sure cooking does, I used to do dat too...in kapahulu...hey you're my neighbor....lots of good places to eat....
Rainbow Drive In, Zippys, L & L drive In...etc even Ted's Burgers... ha ha yum yum

Obama likes Rainbow as well!! Personally, Zippys is the best!! Hungry

i keep my nails short, but the when i strum the g string it is sometimes a bit soft, the problem i get when i grow the thumb nail is that when i do some solo's it tends to get caught in the strings when i am thumbstrumming

I like short nails, and to mostly use the pads of my thumb and index finger. However, I've found that if there's a tiny bit of nail there, that it does catch the string just enough to hit that sweet spot for me.

The exception I stumbled into while recording this piece with many tracks, is that if there's a precise repeating line, through an amp, through an instrument mic, to an ipad... it sounds like mud if you don't either have long nails or just go to a pick in those situations. Picks are against the rules, but there ya go. You can back yourself into a "needing a pick" corner. Luckily it's not often. I never use a pick, so I suck at it. :)

Just play with your teeth, a la Jimi Hendrix! :cool:

Top Bottom