String Tension..High or Low?

Aloha Stan,

My first few ukuleles had Aquilas, which I think are higher tension strings, so I just thought that's what strings are like. When I bought a used Kamaka with Worth strings, I didn't at first like the lower string tension, but I love the way the strings sound (and Aquila doesn't make a nonwound low g) so I adjusted. I now don't really have a preference, and I'm thinking of putting Worths on the Willie Wixom uke I just bought. Do you find higher tension strings to be uncomfortable? Do you find lower tensions strings to be lacking in tone? Or are you thinking more of tuning up or down a step or half-step?

Aloha Stan,

My first few ukuleles had Aquilas, which I think are higher tension strings, so I just thought that's what strings are like. When I bought a used Kamaka with Worth strings, I didn't at first like the lower string tension, but I love the way the strings sound (and Aquila doesn't make a nonwound low g) so I adjusted. I now don't really have a preference, and I'm thinking of putting Worths on the Willie Wixom uke I just bought. Do you find higher tension strings to be uncomfortable? Do you find lower tensions strings to be lacking in tone? Or are you thinking more of tuning up or down a step or half-step?
I am lazy and take the easy way ..hee hee while I like a lower tension for strumming, I rather have a higher
tension for picking.. I guess strumming requires a few more different techniques...

I've never actually played low tension strings, I've always kept with the J71 Daddario hard tensions unfortunately. Hoping to maybe put on some normal tension daddarios after these current ones have worn out. Any detailed opinion on soft tension?

I've never actually played low tension strings, I've always kept with the J71 Daddario hard tensions unfortunately. Hoping to maybe put on some normal tension daddarios after these current ones have worn out. Any detailed opinion on soft tension?
check out the southcoast string site..

My fingers are wimps, so I'll sacrifice some sound for comfort.
every now and then it's nice to tune down to Bb. I enjoy the warmer, richer tone and less tension. But conversely, it's nice to tune up to D and really hear the sweetness & crispness and let the uke sing. It all depends on the song, what kind of technique your using etc. I just think ukes sound good no matter what...high, low or in between I love em all...

Aloha Stano,
I like tuning down to B, still have the tone quality I like and softer to the feel, especially with the Southcoast I just put on.........................SWEET........................................BO............................

every now and then it's nice to tune down to Bb. I enjoy the warmer, richer tone and less tension. But conversely, it's nice to tune up to D and really hear the sweetness & crispness and let the uke sing. It all depends on the song, what kind of technique your using etc. I just think ukes sound good no matter what...high, low or in between I love em all...

Yes, I agree. I've only recently begun tuning to Bb. Very nice on a vintage mahogany soprano. Sounds particularly good with Worth Browns and the new medium gauge Southcoast strings I just received.

Honestly, I've yet to find ukulele strings that I really consider high tension - mostly because I've played steel string guitar and electric bass guitar for years. :)

That said, there is a limit to the "higher tension is better tone" thing. In general that's true but I have experimented with strings that were so tight that they actually killed the volume and sustain and became "tinkly." Also, intonation is far more important to me than a particular tension. I'm not going to go to higher tension strings for "better" tone if doing so throws off the intonation up the neck...

John

Top Bottom