Anyone want an incredibly expensive Pono?

bynapkinart

Reaction score
Eddie Vedder is auctioning off one of the ukes used on his album, a Pono MHTSH. Of course, the auctioneer is marketing it as a Ko'olau, but it's clearly a Pono.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360431454015#ht_3723wt_1184

It has a cool wave drawing along with his signature...but it's already at $6,700 and climbing fast. Personally I'd invest that much for another one of his DeVine tenors, but that's me...

I don't see where it says it was used on his album, but I may have missed it.

For someone with deep pockets, and who wants to give to this charity, they could buy it, and state that $200 was for the uke (non-tax deductible) and $6500 was to charity (so, tax deductible).

That said, a James Hill model DaSilva is a raging steal, then, at $3400. LOL

Thanks for posting.

Technically, the listing is misleading when it says: "Vedder donated this beautiful Ko’olau ukelele signed by him along with a copy of his CD Ukulele Songs. Ko'olau is a high quality ukulele maker from Wahiawa, Hawaii. All Ko'olau ukuleles are handmade in Hawaii which ensures their quality." While those statements about Ko'olau are true, this ukulele, as the OP pointed out, is a Pono, so it was probably made in Asia and was NOT "handmade in Hawaii." Of course, nobody's bidding $6,700 for it because it was hand made in Hawaii, they're bidding $6,700 because it was signed by Vedder. I may nevertheless send an inquiry to the seller to point out the misstatement. If I wanted to donate ~$7,000 to charity, this would be a good way to do it.

A Pono is NOT a Ko'olau. I have a Ko'olau and I don't want to see the name tarnished over misrepresentation. Even if it is for charity.

But, you do realize that Ko'olau does own, supervise, market, and back Pono ukes, right? It's like Lexus / Toyota. While a Ko'olau may not be a Pono, it is safe to say that a Pono is a Ko'olau, just like an Islander is a Kanile'a.

Yes, I know. I have one of each. And I know the history of the company. Would you buy a Toyota if the seller calls it a Lexus and asks a Lexus price when you can see it's a Toyota?

Both my Pono and Ko'olau are wonderful sounding instruments, but if I sold both instruments tomorrow I won't get a Ko'olau price for the Pono. Nether did I expect to pay for a Ko'olau what I paid for a Pono. The auction is making both Pono and Ko'olau sound like they are of equal value.

I talked to someone at Ko'olau/Pono a little while ago. He said he was aware of the auction, but sounded pretty indifferent to the whole thing because it was for charity.

Personally, I think that Ko'olau is compromising themselves with this auction, especially when they emphasis how meticulous they are in building their Ko'olau products.

Last edited:
But, you do realize that Ko'olau does own, supervise, market, and back Pono ukes, right? It's like Lexus / Toyota. While a Ko'olau may not be a Pono, it is safe to say that a Pono is a Ko'olau, just like an Islander is a Kanile'a.

There's nothing wrong with Ponos (I have a Pono baritone and I love it), and I realize that Ponos benefit from being been designed and inspected by the people at Ko'olau. What I find to be significant is the implication that the ukulele being auctioned was made in Hawaii. It was not. While I'm reasonably certain that the person who ends up buying it isn't going to give a rat's behind where the ukulele was made, I'm offended by what appears to be a misrepresentation about an ukulele that's being sold for a lot of money, even if the seller won't benefit personally from the misrepresentation.

I would say that Pono and Ko'olau are closer in quality to each other than certain other family brands, like Squier/Fender and Epiphone/Gibson. I certainly don't think that Ko'olau tarnished its reputation with the Pono brand. That being said, it isn't Hawaiian made and that they're marketing it as such is definitely shady. Not that I would spend $6,700 on it if it was Ko'olau...

I disagree that you can call a Pono a Ko'olau. It is made in a factory in Asia and is built to a certain price point. To be sure, Ponos aren't cheap, and they are quality (I've owned four and enjoyed them all), but they way this is presented and listed it makes it sound like you are buying a Ko'olau branded uke - only one place did I see in their listing that this is a Pono.

As someone else said, anybody bidding on this is buying the signature and the idea that it was Eddie Vedder's uke, not specifically that it is a Ko'olau. However, if you were trying to resell this item (for whatever reason) later and tried to market it as a Ko'olau you would very quickly be informed of your error.

Ko'olau has some ukes with retail prices well over the current bid on this Vedder-signed uke. Not so Pono.

The seller is deliberately attempting to mislead potential bidders, I believe, and that is not right. If they wanted to emphasize the Ko'olau connection it should have been marketed as a "Pono - by Ko'olau".

You're right. I agree with you 100%. Evidently it only makes a difference to us who have some knowledge of ukulele products.

But what if the bidder made their decision to bid after they looked up the value of Ko'olau products and prices thinking they were getting a genuine Ko'olau?

Btw, I have a Pono baritone too. What kind of strings are you using?

It's this one, is it not?

These were some of the the same type comments when they auctioned off his Kamaka Tenor. It's great to see EV donating his stuff to charities.

Athletes do it all the time but I don't hear people saying a jersey only costs $200 and so on. I'm sure we can all use our money in whatever fashion we want but people don't pay thousands above the retail version to buy a "PUT BRAND HERE" but rather for the meaning behind the item and / or just to donate funds for the cause.

No that's not it. It doesn't have Pono at the top. It has what looks like a 3 or B.

I equate this to bidding on an auction for a date and dinner with a famous celebrity... you win, you shake hands with the celebrity, they hand you a bagged sandwich, and close the door in your face. You may still have the satisfaction of donating to your favorite cause, but it doesn't make the sandwich taste any better.

Whatever... it just goes to show we are over consumed with celebrity. I would cherish a beater uke from James Hill over a glorified uke from Vetter.

Last edited:
Wow!! I wonder how much his DeVine uke that is being repaired now will cost if it ever comes for sale.

The biggest question: why would Eddie Vedder use a Pono? I mean, sheesh. That'd be like Mario Andretti driving a Prius.

I don't know, why would he use a Telecaster from the 90's? He probably paid less for the Tele than the Pono.

I think to most musicians, brand name or country of origin matters less than sound. Who knows why he played it? Mario Andretti (and most racers) would probably fret more about what they drive and what it says about them than musicians fret about their instruments.

Eddie Vedder most likely drives a Prius though!

yesterday, I sent the following to the seller: "I noted that the auction listing for this item states: "Vedder donated this beautiful Ko?olau ukelele signed by him along with a copy of his CD Ukulele Songs. Ko'olau is a high quality ukulele maker from Wahiawa, Hawaii. All Ko'olau ukuleles are handmade in Hawaii which ensures their quality." Thge statements about Ko'olau are true, but the ukulele being auctioned is a Pono. (See label in photo.) Pono is a label owned by Ko'olau, but Ponos are manufactured by Ko'olau in China, and then inspected by Ko'olau in Hawaii. Accordingly, the specific ukulele being auctioned was probably NOT "Hand made in Hawaii," and to the extent your listing suggests that it was, your listing is misleading."

Today, the following statement appeared at the very bottom of the auction listing (although I bet most people don't scroll down this far, as it's below all the Grammy charity's FAQ's and legal stuff):

"Note to bidders: The ukulele was made at the Ko'olau factory in China not Hawaii."

haha, you got 'em, mds725. As in all things in life, a quick letter frtom an attorney scares the bejeesus out of them, and they add the disclaimer.

Idjits, added disclaimer instead of just fixing the ad. I ought to write them now and ask how could it be both ways, since they say two different things now in the same ad. lol

yesterday, I sent the following to the seller: "I noted that the auction listing for this item states: "Vedder donated this beautiful Ko?olau ukelele signed by him along with a copy of his CD Ukulele Songs. Ko'olau is a high quality ukulele maker from Wahiawa, Hawaii. All Ko'olau ukuleles are handmade in Hawaii which ensures their quality." Thge statements about Ko'olau are true, but the ukulele being auctioned is a Pono. (See label in photo.) Pono is a label owned by Ko'olau, but Ponos are manufactured by Ko'olau in China, and then inspected by Ko'olau in Hawaii. Accordingly, the specific ukulele being auctioned was probably NOT "Hand made in Hawaii," and to the extent your listing suggests that it was, your listing is misleading."

Today, the following statement appeared at the very bottom of the auction listing (although I bet most people don't scroll down this far, as it's below all the Grammy charity's FAQ's and legal stuff):

"Note to bidders: The ukulele was made at the Ko'olau factory in China not Hawaii."

Thanks for doing that mds725. They should move the statement to the top of the ad.

I'm still using the strings it came with (Ko'olau?), although I'm considering restringing it with Guadelupe low octave GCEA strings someday.

Mmmm, I'll have to check the Guadelupe out. I contacted Dirk at SouthCoast Ukulele. He's going to send some sets he thought might be good for my skill level. Still a newbie.

Top Bottom