Look Ma...no hands

knew concepts

Reaction score
For all of us Neanderthals here (myself included), this is a video that shows where the rest of the world is going. Five axis cnc machining is way beyond where I ever am capable of going (or even want to go).

In spite of the proclivities inherent in this group, this is an amazing piece of work, and something to be aware of.

http://www.openmind-tech.com/en/cam_world/video/daishin_guitar.html

Lee (the saw guy)

This isn't really all that new. Where do you think all the 50 dollars ukuleles come from? Luthiers?

Interesting how it said in the end "Cannot . . . . "

While we may not see it in our time where cnc is the norm (although, in manufacturing it is), it may be the future shop tool like a bandsaw or router is now.

No hands?
Consider this: when you call a company and get a voice menu, how many of them have "press or say one"?
I remember inserting my finger into a ring to dial a number. Now I just push a botton on my Bluetooth and speak commands.
After dinner, I just say "tea" and 2 minutes later it magically appears on my table. Ok, maybe until my kids grow up and leave.

We're in the future, and it's up to guys like us to keep craft and culture going. Imagine, Steve Jobs developed the iPad in the 90's , and just released it in 2010.

We're in the future, and it's up to guys like us to keep craft and culture going.

And that is why I build hand saws.
I do use cnc lathes and mills here in the shop, and I am sure that there are quite a few cnc routers in the wood shops out there, but like those users, I still do the hand assembly and "fit and finish" to complete the item.

The main reason that I put up the post is to show some of the capabilities of the machine tools, and I agree with Chuck..."they ain't got no soul".

Lee (the saw guy)

We have a few 5-Axis CNC machines at work, but I prefer using the manual lathes and mills.

I'd like to hear this thing perform in person.

When you think about it :rolleyes:..all the artwork design and creativity, start with the Guy making the first drawings of his ideas... be it drafted on paper or on computer, it comes from his mind and experience and ideas he's taken from other artists plus his own..it's then the computer programs and CNC machines become an extension of his hands and tools, and produce just what he envisaged in the first place ...the machine just do's what it is told to do.. all colour patterns and materials shapes and contours are direct from the mind of Guy who started it with the first sketch... If it lack's soul then the Guy got it wrong... As more and more creative artists move into this field of design and production we will start to see who the real masters of this art-form are.
The best is yet to come :)...One of my favourite designers is that brilliant chap who designs for "Dyson vacuum cleaners".:cool:

Last edited:
Did you catch how many tools were in the auto change rack? We'd all need to re-mortgage the farm to just purchase them, let alone that machine.

I'm with Ken on this. While that guitar is just plain lifeless, and totally unappealing, there isn't any reason that the same concepts can't be used to machine something with flair, and dare I say soul. If you think that those little imperfections are what give a hand built anything is character, then it's just as easy to program those same things in to your model.

I still would use one to machine those types of parts where a cnc excels and leave the other parts to my hands.

Precision Pearl who do the big makers inlay work are the business when it comes to this sort of thing. Here in Wales a small company under the name Aryma produce the most exquisite marquetry. The drawing and planning is done by 3 graduate fine art students and all the work is cut using laser technology... CNC has its place and if I had limitless funds I know exactly how I would set up my production: with Taylor technolgy - a rotary router machine for necks, mechanical side benders and a precision CNC machine for fingerboard and bridge parts. I'd also have 20 years supply of the best timber precision sawn and ready to go and all this to keep my prices competative. Selection and assembly all by hand as well as a nitro finish - you wouldn't be able to tell the difference except that more inlay would creep onto my work!

The first machine was built by hand. Before that it had to exist in someone's head.

So don't worry too much, it's just a new tool.

Personally, I wouldn't want the guitar. It's a bit "Jimmy Saville".

If you think that those little imperfections are what give a hand built anything is character, then it's just as easy to program those same things in to your model.

I still would use one to machine those types of parts where a cnc excels and leave the other parts to my hands.
From what i've seen with my Sons programing and converting from imperial measurment to metric and transfering to G codes etc: human error is still present, and those imperfections/bugs, seem to get in there from time to time anyway.:)

CNC is part of the culture and craft especially within the electric guitar and arch top instrument industry. I really don't see much use for a CNC in building ukuleles other than necks and forms. To say that an instrument is soul less because of the manner in which it is built is pretty narrow minded in my opinion. The only downside that I see with CNC, Taylor being a perfect example of it, is that some operations would probably be quicker to do by hand but the process doesn't allow for it.

No doubt I have a narrow mind but within that narrowness is a Spirit and soul that is obvious through my work. Walk through the Martin factory sometime to see the other side of what I am talking about. I build very personal instruments that truly effect people in a soulful manner. I've been an old world craftsman all of my life. Shoot, I don't even have a pattern for my necks, but each one is fashioned to customer specs, and built from wood blank to pre-sanded stage in under 10 minutes. My objective is not to build more instruments. or even more consistent ones, but better ones.
I do use a lot of power tools in my shop but leaving everything to robotics just leaves me cold. Most of you on this board are way ahead of me in technology and I'm not looking for approval of my ideas or methods.

We know old man and make allowances :) I'm glad you do it by hand but given your situation off grid, I guess it is forced upon you to some extent eh? And I've seen some incredibly souless hand builds!

We know old man and make allowances :) I'm glad you do it by hand but given your situation off grid, I guess it is forced upon you to some extent eh? And I've seen some incredibly souless hand builds!

Electrical power has nothing to do with it. My off-grid situation is only a recent development of my choice in the past 7 or 8 years. It's also been a personal choice of mine to not just make "stuff". I've had incredible opportunities to expand my operation in order to make more "product" but I refuse to. To each his own. I should have never stepped into this discussion because there are some things that none of us will budge on.
Good luck.

In our machine shop I run CNC mills and lathes every day to make our archery equipment. But, when it comes to the ukes, with the exception of some power tools everything is by hand and I like it that way. Quite a contrast! Heck, I'm just gettin to where I want a good plane to thickness with but will start another thread for that.

Top Bottom