3 Questions Interview with Marc Schoenberger of Ukiyo Ukuleles

jimdville

Reaction score
Posting links to personal for for profit websites is against the rules. this is a warning. if it happens again mods please ban. thank you.

Okay, I don't understand.

Jim's had posts to the playukulelebyear.blogspot.com site for quite a while - I've only been a member for a little over a year, but he had the posts when I joined the board.

Yes, it has ads on it. So what? It has mostly FREE content, much of which is quite valuable to many of us.

If Jim can't post links, then what about Ukulele Mike? How about Aldrine's links to buy his songs? James Hill? Music Guy Mike? Mim? Uke Republic? HoosierHiver?

It looks like telling Jim D'Ville he will be banned for posting a link to his personal web site - which has both Free content and commercial content - is hypocritical.

The rules state:

Do not solicit paid services or products to UU members without consent of the UU moderators.
Ask a Moderator before posting threads about personal and for profit websites. Unauthorized site threads will be locked from 12/26/07. Please keep any and ALL personal websites in your signatures.

Jim posted a link to his blogspot page. It is also in his signature. Many other members have web sites with paid content within their personal pages.

What, exactly, has Jim done wrong? And if indeed he did something wrong, shouldn't EVERY MEMBER with paid content on their pages get the same warning?

I'd like an explanation.

Thanks!

-Kurt​

Okay, I don't understand.

And neither do I. I'm not a paying subscriber so I'm not going to ask or demand anything. I just need some help with policy.

All your quoted sites and posters engage in shameless self promotion and my playing has advanced greatly because of it. I bought Dville's CD when I found it here, I found his lessons very difficult to understand but I'm told my playing has improved greatly since I've started working through them. These players tooting their horns and touting their wares are welcomed by this beginner. The quality of instruction here is very high.

This beginner asks that policy be reviewed.

I apologize for all the confusion.
It's kind of like this: Imagine UU as a party that people went to. We do a lot of new and innovative stuff so people can have fun at our party. People are chatting it up and eating and drinking, etc. Then someone says that there's a party across the street that's kinda like this one but different. A few people leave our party to check out the other one. Then, 10 other people start talking about 10 other parties and so on. If it keeps going, that original party wont have a choice but to shut down. A scenario which I hope people wont want.

My point is, even for just a little bit; it directs traffic away from our site. It's only recently but we've been starting to tighten up the rules a little regarding offsite links. To have it in your signature is okay but to post on the forum announcing that they should go to another site is a different story. YouTube and sites that allow us to see improvement of our members through video is fine. We encourage people to make them and improve. Even collaborate with others. As far as those names mentioned, we'll be taking closer looks and warning those that applies to the new rules. I post up links to buy my songs? My link to buy goes on the front pages of UU.

We used to allow the offsite links but through the years we noticed that we've been seeing more and more sites similar to ours. Which is great; in the sense that there's more content out there that teaches everyone how to play and spreads the word about ukulele. But we've been working hard for the past 5 years trying to deliver quality content every week (sometimes twice) and it kind of sucks to notice some outside sites that copy the same lesson that we worked so hard to put together and even use the same made up terms that I come up with on the spot (lol). I find some of those sites promoting themselves here. It's like McDonalds and Burger King both make hamburgers but you don't see BK posting up fliers at McD's. But in this case, BK posts a flier promoting the "Big" BK burger which sounds a lot like another sandwich...

Bottom line is that we're trying to enforce common courtesy. The rule states that you can ask a mod if the content is okay to post. Some are quite valuable to the community and we wouldn't want people to miss out on some of them (like the Jake book for example) You really want to promote your other site on the board? Keep it in your signature and post often on the boards. That way, people can see the link and will click on it on their own. Let's keep this party going guys!

Last edited:
Thank you for that explanation, Aldrine. It was clear and concise, and as long as it is explained in this manner to those who are affected, there should be no difficulty.

Just to use my own situation as an example, I learned about Jim D'Ville through UU. I get notified of things on his site through UU. I use the link he posts, see what I want, and then return to UU.

To be honest, I mostly use the Forums only, even though I discovered UU through the front page. I just never get around to going back to the front page unless someone posts a message on the forums that piques my interest.

That will be changing soon, as I will have a lot more free time for a 3-4 month period... as soon as Workers Comp gets around to authorizing more arm surgery... Of course, I won't be able to play ukulele for a while then, either,,,

Again, thanks for the explanation.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom