I absolutly love this uke.

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hello my Uke Pukes. I just got to say.. I have several personal ukes which I love all of them for different reasons. But, lately, I have been spending time with a Mahogany Concert I did allot of work to about a year ago. But only lately been spending some quality time with. I have fallen in love with this uke. It was one of my 1st Dük Ukes. This thing has the sweetest tone in all ukes at any price range I have ever played. It has crazy sustain, and simply wants to sing. You can hear it resonate a mellow hum just by carrying it through the air, seriously. I LOVE this Concert Mahog. I hit the set up on it spot on a year or so ago, and it is simply a joy to play.
P1060548.jpg

That said, while I am here. I wanted to give an update on Tudorp since I don't seem to get on line much lately. As many of you know, I deal with several disabilities, one being Morbid Obesity. I am happy to announce I have lost right at 200 Lbs over the past 16 months. I still have a bit to go, but feeling better and better each pound that goes away. Obviously it has also helped deal with my real disability issues. However, I have not made it known, that I have not been able to play as I used to because sometime a couple months ago I suffered a mild stroke. I didn't even know it happened until I realized my motor skills and finger work seemed to be very labored. My doctor informed me that I did suffer a mild stroke, and it isn't uncommon to not notice immediatly. I can still work with my hands, but it takes allot of concentration, and slow movement. I still play, but I get frustrated because it to me it doesn't sound good. But even with the poor playing, this uke I mentioned above makes it better, because I just love it's tone. I play the thing anyway, even sucking. It's a joy to play and the nice action and set up does make it easier.

I am optimistic about the motor skills. The doctor tells me to just keep using my arm and hands, because the more I use it, the better chances that I might get it all back. I'm holding my faith up that God's will will be done with that. I'm still around, and hopefully by Mid Summer I will have my new shop up and running..

Life is good..

Glad that little uke is giving you so much pleasure. I love the checkerboard effect on the soundboard.

And congrats on the weight loss. Not an easy battle I'm sure. It can only be good from a health perspective. Hoping for a swift recovery from your recent temporary issues.

Jim B

Yeah Jim, that checked pattern is cool I think too. It is carved into the entire top, and to be honest, I think it may have allot to do with the sustain this thing has. Being carved in like that, I think it offers more surface area with the facets in each checked pattern, and I think it is getting resonance from that. It's just a therory of mine, but I have never in my life heard sustain from this sized uke like this one has, even ukes that go into the 4 digits in price range. It might have even been a mistake, but I have to say, it was one of those awesome mistakes..

Love the look of that uke and best wishes on your health struggles. You are a great inspiration in the UUBL topic. :)

Good luck man. Great hearing not only about the uke, but that you have found the joy in playing it and that your health is improving!

Good work, Tudorp -- keep on keeping on!

Here is kind of a sound sample of this Uke. Sorry for the poor playing friends. I hate it, but dealing with the stroke thing I guess it isn't so bad. It could be worse under those circumstances I reckon. But, I just pray I get it all back so I can do this uke's tone justice.. Enjoy it none the less...

Here is kind of a sound sample of this Uke. Sorry for the poor playing friends. I hate it, but dealing with the stroke thing I guess it isn't so bad. It could be worse under those circumstances I reckon. But, I just pray I get it all back so I can do this uke's tone justice.. Enjoy it none the less...

Aloha Tudorp,
Sorry to hear about your mild stroke...glad your doctor found out...and hope you have a speedy recovery...I was wondering about you and didn't see you on for a while...Wow you lost 200
man you look good in the picture..congrats on the weight loss... I am sure you are more active now due to the weight loss... Take Care and many Blessings Big guy...Your Friend, Stan
Have a nice evening and next time let me know bruddah, talk to you soon... nice playing too....

Tudorp,
You always have such great posts, I have missed seeing you around.
Hopefully 2012 will be a turn-a-round year for your health.
All my best for a speedy & full recovery, look forward to more posts from you...

Tudorp, Just wanted to wish you the best in your struggles. Keep the faith and God bless

Good luck with your help tudorp. Best way to go is to keep optimistic just like you say.

Also that ukes tone is very sweet.

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear about your recent health issues, but I'm glad to hear that the stroke was only mild (my lesson from more or less walking away from a bicycle accident last August was to acknowledge that it could have been a lot worse and to be thankful that it wasn't), and that you're on the road to recovery. It's also important that you're doing so well in battling your weight issues, which is a risk factor for a lot of health problems. I'm hoping that this is your turnaround year for your health, and that as you lose pounds you continue to feel better.

I love that uke. It sounds great and it's nice to see you playing it.

That uke really does sound nice.

I was wondering where you'd gone off to, glad to see you back. The stroke is bad obviously, but having figured out what it was, and knowing the monitor things is good. You keep going as you are, and you're going to be sporting Speedos and in no time! :)

That uke sounds great! I love that checkerboard pattern, too. Hang in there baby!

Hey Tudorp, I remember that sweet little uke and it's good that you decided to keep it. Play the heck out of it, it will help your brain heal. If it was a mild stroke you should get complete recovery. It just takes time for the body to rewire stuff. You have a super attitude and a great perspective on life and that sure helps with stuff like this. I too am wishing you all the best!

Congrats on the weight loss; a difficult road. As to the stroke, continued practice and if you are young, even better. It will improve. A friend's dad (in his late 70's) had a BIG one and he is fighting back amazingly. It takes grit, but you have that.

That uke does sound nice Tudorp. You should be very proud of yourself on the weight loss. I am sure you realize there are several folks from all over the ukulele world that are thinking of you.

Glad to hear from you! I have kept you in my prayers-keep at it!

Top Bottom