Heating blankets and controllers

Chris_H

Reaction score
I am about ready to buy a side bending blanket, and a controller. I was looking at the LMI controller, but the 6" x 24" blanket at Blues Creek Guitars seems like a better size. How specific are the different controllers to specific blankets? Is it possibly just connectors? Can I use the LMI controller with the Blues creek blanket? Or is it best to bypass the Luthier supplies and go to the manufacturers of the blankets? Anything special about controllers? I am very handy with electrical stuff. What do you recommend? I am looking for a good setup, not something that, should I want to build lots of ukes over time, that I will want to replace. I like good tools.

Any recommendations on the best route for a heating blanket and controller?

Also, been reading Cumpiano's book, the bending iron looks like exactly what I need for bending the radii of my plinth veneers ( they are generally about 1.8mm thick depending on species) I currently do it 'ghetto style' boiling water, heat gun, clamps, cauls, cuss words, and do not break too many pieces. I think a bending iron will be perfect. Any recommendations or thoughts on bending irons?

I'm sure LMI has a 6x24" blanket. If you buy the blanket from LMI as well as the controller it will come with the correct plug. Part of what annoyed me about the LMI unit is the type of receptacle they used on their controller. That caused me to build my own http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...e-Controller&highlight=temperature+controller. You will be able to run any blanket of the size needed with the LMI controller but you will have to put a different plug on it if you buy from Blues Creek or most other suppliers.

Thanks for that.. So it looks like the controller, with the input of the thermocouple, controls the relay, allowing the line current to power the blanket. Does that sound correct? Then choosing a relay that is sufficient for the load of the blanket, say 20A. I see the controllers.. That looks relatively simple. And the blankets should mostly all work with 120v? That looks like a good way to go.

Cheers!

I am about ready to buy a side bending blanket, and a controller. I was looking at the LMI controller, but the 6" x 24" blanket at Blues Creek Guitars seems like a better size. How specific are the different controllers to specific blankets? Is it possibly just connectors? Can I use the LMI controller with the Blues creek blanket? Or is it best to bypass the Luthier supplies and go to the manufacturers of the blankets? Anything special about controllers? I am very handy with electrical stuff.

You haven't provided any of the relevant electrical details of the items you've asked about. Unfortunately neither has Blues Creek.............

I must be a bit bored because I had a look myself. The LMI controller can handle 10amps. The blankets should have a power factor close enough to 1, so we can ignore that. As long as you buy a blanket rated at less than 1200W you should be fine.

Of course the simplist controller is the one I use. None. Plug it in. Bend the side. Unplug it. I could build a flash controller but I prefer building ukes.

Last edited:
A controller is a nice safety feature, but using no controller is a lot faster. And even if you use a controller, the temperature can climb into the danger zone if you walk away. If you are really going to build "lots" of ukes you'll find that blankets don't last forever. Granted that you're not likely to build 300 instruments per year like we do at H&D, but we run four blankets and generally have to replace at least one of them each year. Blankets don't last forever, and complaining to LMI does no good. You just have to suck it up.

I ordered parts for a controller similar to the LMI controller. After looking at it, I think I may end up with at least as nice of a setup as if I had purchased it. Also picked up an Ibex bending iron, as that looks like exactly what I need for bending the sides of my big plinths. The thought had crossed my mind of a footpedal controller for the iron, or some sort of a foot switch to leave both hands free. Totally looking forward to the unfolding of the learning process. And no, at this point, I definitely do not have plans on building lots, just some, enough to let my curiousity and passion wander. I have no need to build lots, then when would I build plinths? Currently enjoying that. Building ukes gives me something to do with my endcut, as well as any gems that might be less valuable for plinth wood. Last week I cut 2 sets of gorgeous Macassar Ebony backs and sides, and 4 Indian Rosewood sets, from my endcut, scraps basically, but what looks like excellent wood for ukes. Today, a Cocobolo board arrived that is dead quartersawn, and perfectly straight grain on all planes, except for a couple variations at the ends of the board, 2" x 5" x 36", this was set aside for ukes. Eventually I will start building, right now just learning, setting up, and acquiring tools, setting aside materials for specific builds.

How many people do you have working to produce 300 ukes per year?

Top Bottom