Does this ukulele look crooked and off to you??

Martin808

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonny-D-Ten...899?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371c253a3

I would like to get some other UUers opinion.

To me this ukulele body looks wavy and crooked. The strings look as if they aren't spaced apart evenly. There is a wood Knot on the face of the uke. Sound hole looks off from the fret board around 1/4" to 3/16th of a inch. Frets look slightly slanted. Bridge slightly tilted. Crooked neck. Ain't this thing really off?

I also found this link to further my concerns.

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~kuratani/ukurere/sonny/sonny.htm

hey Martin, I just think the subtle camera angles are playing tricks on you, both ukes look fine to me mate

I think the ebay link is just a trick of the camera, but a trick of the camera can mask issues as well as show ones that aren't there. That's always the ebay risk, especially someone with zero feedback.

That Japanese link doesn't actually look so hot when you start scrolling down. Maybe if that little voice is telling you not to buy, trust the little voice.

Maybe if that little voice is telling you not to buy, trust the little voice.
good advice!!! But Kim, what exactly do I do about the one on my other shoulder?? he he

hmmm, could be another issue for my therapist...I better make a double appointment for next week :p

From the pics it looks fine, but there's no straight on pics of the whole instrument. If I'm buying a used uke of Ebay, I'd like to see full side, front, back and down the neck photos. Plus the description sounds a little suspect. Someone claiming to buy batches of new ukes just long enough to break them in and then selling them off at a substantial discount. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I agree with everyone else that the crookedness is almost certainly an artificial optical illusion based on how the picture was taken, lighting, etc.

That said, you should note that many hand-made (or, at least hand-crafted) ukes may not be perfectly laterally symmetrical (that is, the left and right sides may not be perfect mirror images of one another). So, when looking straight on, the curve along the upper bout on the right and left "shoulders" may not be identical. That lack of symmetry shouldn't affect how it sounds, and actually helps to add to the individuality of these non mass produced ukes.

Yes it is the camera angle and everyone has said.. look at the picture closely..the ukulele is tilted to the right.....which may explain the photo's distorted image..

Last edited:
It actually does look like the sound hole rosette is a little off center where it meets the bottom of the fretboard, but the uke itself looks pretty nice, and camera angles to create distortion, even straight on a lens will distort. As noted previously anything hand built will often be at least a tiny bit "sided". A uke could be way lopsided like a Louis Gaspar and still play well. Look at the uke bottom right here.

But yeah, he buys them, uses them, sells them to buy more...?? If he buys low and sells high, then it makes sense. Otherwise it makes me nervous.

Edit: I just used Google Translate on the Japanese page and along with the photos I see he is a bit of a sloppy builder.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like the picture is a little askew, not the uke. With that said, the seller does seem pretty sketchy. And this isn't the first time that Sonny D ukes have been accused of build quality issues (however, I've heard they still sound great!). The binding by the neck heel is off, and that's not just a camera trick. For $500-700, this is a great deal on a Hawaiian-made uke, assuming the seller is legit after all, but with all the reports of sloppy workmanship, I wouldn't pay too much for one. :(

If i knew how to take the pictures off the listing I could actually show the things that are off on this ukulele. This is not the first ukulele I seen like this from this particular maker. I have seen far worse. I don't think camera and angles have anything to do with it. Also has anyone else seen any builders who uses wood with knots on a ukulele face?

Top Bottom