Uke Blues

LonnaB

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you have been eagerly anticipating Woodshed's newest e-book, How to Play Blues Ukulele. I know I have been!

I was lucky enough to get a preview this week and Woodshed has outdone himself.

This resource is crammed full of great uke blues techniques and plenty of mp3 examples to go along with the instruction.

We should be seeing a final copy available sometime later in October.

I would like to add that if it weren't for folks like Aldrine and Woodshed who are out there giving so much to the uke community, I might still be stuck playing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. A big thanks to everyone who is committed to passing along what they know to help the rest of us reach that next level with our own playing. You all rock!:rock:

Hi there,

I have to say that I'm quite curious about this. Do you know where I can find more info about this particular ebook. I have checked ukulelehunt and searched this forum but have not found much...

Thanks!

Vincent

Hey Vincent- keep checking back with UkeHunt. Woodshed's been working on this one for a while- I think he is going to tweak the final product just a bit and have it available mid October.

What I have seen starts with a basic shuffle rhythm and moves all the way through some tasty intros, outros and turn arounds. There are plenty of references and examples of riffs from Blues greats such as Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker and Stevie Ray Vaughn, just to name a few. He also spends a good deal of time discussing Blues Soloing and, of course, scales.

I'll mention the mp3 examples again- the version I've seen has 79 examples- from the basic to the lighting fast finger licks. These examples are really helpful when working through the book- which I believe will keep me busy for some time.

The book will be available under the How to Play Ukulele section of the blog.

I too have seen the preview version and I can fully concur that it is rather awesome! I have been wandering around the house for the last couple of days strumming blues riffs from the ebook. Al is a great teacher and the blues e-book is one of his finest.

I too have seen the preview version and I can fully concur that it is rather awesome! I have been wandering around the house for the last couple of days strumming blues riffs from the ebook. Al is a great teacher and the blues e-book is one of his finest.

I agree completely! What about that last mp3? Damn, Al can rip it!

I've not even got that far yet! His 'smeck head' Roy Smeck tribute was pretty ripping!

I always cheat and go to the last page of any instructional book :)

smeck head does rock.

Al needs to record more videos. After he writes more learn to play e-books, of course.

I'm bumping my own thread, shamelessly.

I've seen the finished product in its pretty form. Keep your eyes out this week for availability.

I was fortunate enough to spend some quality time over the weekend working through this book and mp3 examples.

Some of Woodshed's books are fairly simple for newbies- Uke 101 comes to mind. His tabs are always worked out as simple as possible, too, and I know we all appreciate that.

But, this blues book starts in with the finger twisting around page 10. It lets up a bit, but it will seriously take me some time to master most of the content. Seeing as though I was supposed to preview this book and offer feedback, I'm embarrassed to say that I've only worked through 29 of the 74 pages. The problem is, every example is worth learning! I can't bring myself to skim through the pages for fear that I will miss one small tidbit of great information. As I said before, the mp3 examples are great, especially for picking up a particular rhythm in a selection.

It would be cool if others who decide to get into this instruction wanted to have a discussion about it. If anyone's down- let me know.

Certainly is a finger twister alright! I can't play most of the stuff in the book but I'm contenting myself with the simpler stuff at the moment. I've been through the whole book, but mostly just read it or played what is only a passing resemblance to what was it was supposed to sound like, my fingers are way, way slow on the fretboard at the mo! It's a lot of fun anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished version.

It's not released quite yet, not sure exactly when it will be released but it won't be long.

As a blues fan and blues player for 30+ years, I'm eager to get a copy to add to my collection and see new things I can learn. What is a good source for the book?

Get it while it's hot, everybody!

15 bucks until the end of October- it's a steal!

Thanks! Just downloaded and printed it. Will have to wait to see what's inside for when I get home and can pick up a uke.

Printing: a couple of minor glitches. The pages are formatted for European sizes (I'd guess most of the readers will be Americans who use a different default page size). Both versions (the 'fancy' and plain print versions included) crashed the printer at page 75 (everything up to that page seemed to print okay, despite a "can't find font ASGRTV+RepriseTitle" error message in the fancy version). Embedded font missing? Or not embeddable?

Pages 75-78 print on their own, but that's where there is a page size shift from European to US letter sizes. Maybe an Adobe hiccup with changing page sizes mid-document?

The appendices are useful - don't miss them: they are in a separate folder.

Woodshed's new blues book

Hey folks I imagine lots of you are familiar with ukulelehunt.com but the guy who runs it just put out a new ebook on blues ukulele. I have all of his ebooks (and lots of ukulele books in general) and they are very well done. I'm not affiliated with the site at all but am always looking for new uke books so wanted to spread the word.

The book can be found here:
http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/10/15/blues-ukulele

Chris

Printing: a couple of minor glitches. The pages are formatted for European sizes (I'd guess most of the readers will be Americans who use a different default page size). Both versions (the 'fancy' and plain print versions included) crashed the printer at page 75 (everything up to that page seemed to print okay, despite a "can't find font ASGRTV+RepriseTitle" error message in the fancy version). Embedded font missing? Or not embeddable?

Pages 75-78 print on their own, but that's where there is a page size shift from European to US letter sizes. Maybe an Adobe hiccup with changing page sizes mid-document?

Have you tried contacting Al at ukehunt about this? I'm sure he'll sort it out if you let him know the problem.

How you getting along with it?

Top Bottom