Ukulele display case

R

RyanMFT

Hey UU friends, just thought I would share my latest creation. I have wanted to have a display/shadow box to put my most special ukulele in. I don't play it much, but have wanted to do something to display it.

So, here is what I finished last night. I had to modify the box to make it deeper to fit my ukulele, but one would never know! Sorry for the reflections in the photo as I just took it quickly with my iPhone. The ukulele sits against a felt lined backing and is hung inside with fishing line. It will hang on the wall.
da64039f.jpg

That is seriously sweet. How do you handle humidity?

Aloha Ryan,
Looks awesome...you do great work...will you make one for say um multi multi ukes..

Thanks, humidity is pretty consistent at my house so I am good.

Stan, I only will have it for this ukulele. All my others are players, but this one ukulele is really early and very special to me. I don't like to play it a lot and don't keep tension on the strings. Just want it to have a place of honor in my home. It is about 110 years old so I figured it needs a special display case!

That is very cool! You must be very handy with tools. I'd cut off my thumbs... and paint my forehead!

Thanks, humidity is pretty consistent at my house so I am good.

Stan, I only will have it for this ukulele. All my others are players, but this one ukulele is really early and very special to me. I don't like to play it a lot and don't keep tension on the strings. Just want it to have a place of honor in my home. It is about 110 years old so I figured it needs a special display case!

I'd be careful not to hang it where there is direct sunlght.. you'd bake that sucker.

Even if the humididty in your place is constant, I'd still consicer putting a hydrometer in there just in case... it would look cool in there too.

Thanks all....
I would never have it in the sunlight, and only on an interior wall.

I am not wanting to sell them ukulele adventure, it is just something special I wanted to do for this one ukulele.

I didn't build this case from scratch, it was a shadow box I bought already built which I had to modify significantly because it wasn't deep enough. Got the original case on clearance for $14.00 at an art and craft supply shop, then modified it. This ukulele needed a deeper case as it has wood peg tuners.

hey Ryan, please tell us a little more about the ukulele and why it's so special to you mate...

hey Ryan, please tell us a little more about the ukulele and why it's so special to you mate...

Hey Eugene, this little ukulele has brought such joy into my life. It is a mystery who made it, but it seems to date to around 1900, and to have been built by a Madeiran builder, building in Hawaii. I don't know if you remember the thread about it, here it is...
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?35496-Vintage-Uke-ID-help-needed!!

The journey of discovery with this ukulele has lead me to connect with people from all over the world. I have been helped by collectors and enthusiasts and feel like this one little ukulele has given me so much. Through the journey of learning about who may have made it, I have learned more than I ever could have hoped about ukulele construction, and especially about the early ukulele builders. Because of this ukulele I have been in contact with the great, great grandson of Dias, been to the home of one of the finest ukulele collectors in the world (having the chance to hold three Santo ukuleles), and now I am contacted by people seeking information on their vintage ukuleles......for me, this little guy is a gem, and deserves a honored place in my home.

Great display case - cool idea. And that's one sweet little uke in there!

Man, oh man -- great uke, great case, great story.

I'm tempted to tell my students (I teach high school). How awesome it must be to care for something that old and be able to pay it tribute. Well done, Ryan.

Wow, thank you so much for the very kind words everyone. Here is a picture of it hanging on the wall. Again, a quick iPhone photo, but you get the idea.

Connor, what a compliment, thanks.....I do see my role as being a caretaker of this and many other ukuleles. In fact, I have had the chance to put this very ukulele in the hands of both James Hill and Lil' Rev and both of them had a jam on it. I just wanted to add to the very rich history of this ukulele, and put it in the hands of some of the very best who have ever played ukulele!
17141e0f.jpg

I would like to suggest that you also make sure there is sufficient constant humidity in the case. The dry air in the States will very likely cause the wood to crack. The uke is a true gem. Congratulations!!

Top Bottom