1927 gibson 1 uke weird rosetta

mark1010

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there were variations to the rope rosetta on these babies? Mine is like a solid amber thing... thanks, mark1927 gibson uke 003.jpg1927 gibson uke 002.jpg

Attachments

• 1927 gibson uke 001.jpg
    1927 gibson uke 001.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 1927 gibson uke 007.jpg
    1927 gibson uke 007.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 141
I just picked one up. The seller also said it was 1927, and it also has the solid inlaid rosette. Does anyone know anything about this variation? I've only seen a rope rosette for the Gibson Uke-1.

I've seen it before, and Gibson method of building in batches made for several variations. If you look inside for a stamped or penciled Factory Order Number (FON) there's a better chance of getting a date.

The pictures are not very clear, there are lot of scratches and reflections.

The pictures are not very clear, there are lot of scratches and reflections.

This is definitely a player's uke. Look at the wear from strumming on the upper soundboard. The tuners look rusted. The fretboard looks thristy.

Mark,
I don't know anything about the rosette but...
Get some of this and clean that uke right up, take the strings off and make sure you get this on all the fretboard:
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Duck-2080-Wax-Cleaning/dp/B000EEL50Q
use a cotton or microfiber cloth.

You might have to replace those tuners. Although you could try cleaning them with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Clot...3772484&sr=1-4-catcorr&keywords=miracle+cloth

I would love to see this thing cleaned up and playing.

Hi all,

Here are some photos of my circa 1927 Gibson Ukulele. Would be interested if anyone has more information about the rosette. My Uke doesn't have any markings or numbering inside.

IMG_1847.jpg

IMG_1846.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_1848.jpg

Hard to tell, and this is just a thought, but maybe the rosette is faux tortoise shell.

Last edited:
Top Bottom