What does this tab mean?

fretie

Reaction score
Three Times Trill
B )--------0-------0-------0-------0-------2-------2-------3----1/3--------1-0
F#)------1-------1-------1-------1-------1-------1-------0---------------0----
D )----2-------2-------0-------0-------2-------2-------0---------------0------
A )--3-------3-------2-------2-------0-------0-------0-----------------------

This is part of the tab found on YouTube, from a link given here on the forum, for the duet entitled "Paul's Dance".

I don't understand how to read it! Help!

I do know the chords listed but don't know what the numbers mean...are they the frets for the top string ...or the bottom string...or something to do with the fingerpicking pattern....?:confused:

Any guidance would be gratefully appreciated.:)

thanks,
Erin

Just my 2 shekels, but this seems to be a tab for a uke capo'd on the 2nd fret. The tablature reads where you fret the strings (after the capo), and the order you play them. The bottom line would be the G string (though again, since it's shown as A it would be capo'd at the 2nd fret), with your finger on the 5th overall fret, but 3rd from the capo.

Of course, I could very well be completely wrong ...

That's standard tablature. Numbers are fret positions, lines are strings

A---
E---
C---
G---

But in your example, the strings are tuned two steps above normal. I really like playing this piece. The fingering works as written regardless of capo or tuning.

If you want it to sound like the YouTube recording, remember that the first player is playing a Cuatro, not a Ukulele. The top and bottom strings are both tuned an octave lower.

Last edited:
That's standard tablature. Numbers are fret positions, lines are strings

A---
E---
C---
G---

But in your example, the strings are tuned two steps above normal. I really like playing this piece. The fingering works as written regardless of capo or tuning.

OK, that's starting to make sense. So in my example above, then, it starts by plucking the A string, 3rd fret, then D string, 2nd fret and then F# 1st fret and so on.... yes? And as you mentioned...the tuning is not the usual GCEA tuning....right?

thanks for this hand holding! :)

OK, that's starting to make sense. So in my example above, then, it starts by plucking the A string, 3rd fret, then D string, 2nd fret and then F# 1st fret and so on.... yes? And as you mentioned...the tuning is not the usual GCEA tuning....right?

thanks for this hand holding! :)

Actually, the tab refers to these strings:

A
E
C
G

But in the tab you have, the strings are either capo'd or tuned-up so they are actually

B
F#
D
A

In the tab you have you would first play either the tuned-up or capo'd G string, then the C (tuned/capo'd to D), then E, then A.

Actually, the tab refers to these strings:

A
E
C
G

But in the tab you have, the strings are either capo'd or tuned-up so they are actually

B
F#
D
A

In the tab you have you would first play either the tuned-up or capo'd G string, then the C (tuned/capo'd to D), then E, then A.

OK, got it. thanks!

Along the same tab, I think I am confused on this part rather:

This bit three times

B )--0------2-----2---3-----3-----3--
F#)-----1-----1-----1---0-----0-----0
D )-------0-----2---------0-----0----
A )--2------0---------0--------------

The 0 and 2 of the first note are meant to play at the same time? And what about the 1 on F# and the 0 of D? Are they meant to play at the same time too or just slightly at the different time in that particular order, i.e., 1 and then quickly with 0?

Thanks!

If the notes vertically align, they are intended to be played at the same time. The F# and D are on different vertical planes so one is played after the other.
There are some tutorials here somewhere that explain all of this and then some. It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it.

Along the same tab, I think I am confused on this part rather:

This bit three times

B )--0------2-----2---3-----3-----3--
F#)-----1-----1-----1---0-----0-----0
D )-------0-----2---------0-----0----
A )--2------0---------0--------------

The 0 and 2 of the first note are meant to play at the same time? And what about the 1 on F# and the 0 of D? Are they meant to play at the same time too or just slightly at the different time in that particular order, i.e., 1 and then quickly with 0?

Thanks!

If the notes vertically align, they are intended to be played at the same time. The F# and D are on different vertical planes so one is played after the other.
There are some tutorials here somewhere that explain all of this and then some. It's really quite easy once you get the hang of it.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?809-How-to-Read-Tabs-Thread or http://ukulelehunt.com/how-to-read-ukulele-tab/

FYI . . . Please also read this thread about posting tabs. It should look like the example below . . .
Code:
B )--------0-------0-------0-------0-------2-------2-------3----1/3--------1-0
F#)------1-------1-------1-------1-------1-------1-------0---------------0----
D )----2-------2-------0-------0-------2-------2-------0---------------0------
A )--3-------3-------2-------2-------0-------0-------0-----------------------

Last edited:
This is not capo'ed.

The notes are played in sequence if they are not aligned; read left to right. If the string numbers line up, pluck together.

The 1/3 at the end of the first stanza is a trill which is played by fretting the first fret and striking the string, then quickly hammering on and picking off the third fret of the same string. Here is a video of how to do a trill (guitar, same diff) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpZSkQqTxoI

Thanks folks! This has been very helpful :)

I didn't mean to hijack the thread though.

Hello fretie, before GCEA was born the original tuning was as you indicated in your first post. Method books from the 1915......1930's era by W.A.Smith et al.

Only Silly Eastern Canadians

Whomever did this tab tunes to D6 instead of C6.

Silly canadians :) (joking, I'm joking)

Tuning up a whole step is the standard in Canada.

D6 tuning is common in Maritime Canada, but not so much elsewhere. Chalmers Doane, the Canadian uke icon, used it when teaching in Nova Scotia schools. Apparently the higher tuning is more accommodating for young voices.

Top Bottom