Looking for a unique uke!

miclark

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I recently had a rare ukulele stolen. It was a hand made flamed koa 8 string Leonard young tenor uke valued at $1800.00. I am looking for a company or luthier that has something comparable. Leonard Young died last year and along with it his custom ukes. Now I am looking to replace it, the thing about it is that it was steel string. I have been all over the net and can't seem to find any steel string ukes. If anyone has any info it would be greatly apreciated.

Try Ukulele Friend (Sean Yacavone), he's not a luthier but deals in custom, vintage and production instruments. Check out his listings as well as the photos of each instrument he has. Drop him an e-mail or call (808) 294-1046) him. He may be able to give you a heads up on what you're looking for.

Last edited:
You might want to get a pic of it spread around so that we can be on the lookout for it should it turn up. It's obviously going to attract attention based on it's unique features, but spreading photos around might help track down the original one.

You might want to get a pic of it spread around so that we can be on the lookout for it should it turn up. It's obviously going to attract attention based on it's unique features, but spreading photos around might help track down the original one.

That's a great idea.

miclark,
I'm sorry to hear this. :( Post up pics of this uke if you have any. UU members are everywhere and might spot it where you least expect it. Worst case, the thief will be too embarrassed or fearful of outing him/herself with all the attention put on the stolen uke.

My gosh, I hope your uku finds its way home to you...

That sucks...i am sorry to hear that some Donkey stole your uke. I hope you find it soon...

Talk to Joe at Kanile'a for a replacement they do tiples and 8 string steel ukes with a carbon truss rod in the neck.

Ko'olau does a 8 string as well every blue moon but never seen a steel string.

Shawn is your best bet, for I have to have it NOW, I have bought from him in the past and highly recommend him.

In looking up characteristics of a Leonard Young Ukulele in general I ran across some photos. His Ukes would be real hard to miss!

About half way down the page here is a "new Ukulele" header and following it are pictures of Leonard Young's trademark headstock and bridge:

http://tekedmusic.info/ray.miller/d.s/index0.htm

That was very helpful! Thanks, Jane.

miclark, is that what your instrument looked like?

lenuke00pl8.jpg

Talk to Joe at Kanile'a for a replacement they do tiples and 8 string steel ukes with a carbon truss rod in the neck.

Ko'olau does a 8 string as well every blue moon but never seen a steel string.

Shawn is your best bet, for I have to have it NOW, I have bought from him in the past and highly recommend him.

Sorry to hear about your uke :( I have played the Kanile'a triple and it is sweet!

Top Bottom