I'm Still looking for my solid body mid price range Tenor Uke.

michaeloceanmoon

Reaction score
I have tried the Kala Lacewood Tenor, (like this one's sound much better than the Acacia model). Hope to try the Ohana TK-35 Mahogany and the TK-50g Rosewood and Cedar ( because my concert TC-50g sounds pretty good), and may be able to try a local Islander MST solid Mahogany.

Any one have personal experience with any of these Ukes? Anyone know where they make the Islander ukes?

beginner to the uke, been strumming otherwise for over 35 years.

thanks, Michael

It would be good to tell us what "mid price" is. $100 - $300? $300 - $500?? $500 - $700?? For lots of guitar converts, ukuleles are cheap compared to guitars. I personally would spend around $500 and get a custom made uke from one of the respected luthiers in that price range.

Mainland and Ohana would be my advice; with Mainland you have a great sound and quality for the money, with Ohana you have great quality and a seemingly-limitless selection of woods. They're the only mid-ranged suppliers I've been with until I bought my Kamaka, Compass Rose etc.

I have a Mainland Tenor in mahogany (239 at Uke Republic) and I'm very pleased with it. The workmanship astounded me and it is a very pretty instrument. It is bright sounding as strung with Aquilas; I might change to Worth later on. I found that I'm able to play better on it than I knew I could--was practicing on a Dolphin and a Makala baritone until mine showed up and it was worth the wait.

If you'd like to see and hear it in action (not played by me) there is a contest entry in Six Seasons of the Uke that is on the very same instrument I own. The sound is very close to what I hear at home, so I think this is a good example of the sound, at least strumming. It would seem this guy (Ukuleledaddy) has left the Aquilas on, from what I can tell.

Hey, if you can recommend a custom made uke for $500, then my question is.... what luthiers are building custom made ukes for $500?
By mid -range I was thinking $300 - $500. I thought I'ld need at least $1000 for a "custom" instrument. Thanks for the feedback everyone!, Michael

I have tried the Kala Lacewood Tenor, (like this one's sound much better than the Acacia model). Hope to try the Ohana TK-35 Mahogany and the TK-50g Rosewood and Cedar ( because my concert TC-50g sounds pretty good), and may be able to try a local Islander MST solid Mahogany.

Any one have personal experience with any of these Ukes? Anyone know where they make the Islander ukes?

beginner to the uke, been strumming otherwise for over 35 years.

thanks, Michael

Did you see the lacewood tenor on Fleamarket?

Did you see the lacewood tenor on Fleamarket?
I have played those Kalas at my local music store, and they look and sound great. I'm a big fan of sprucetops. the street price for these aRE about $350, so this isn't a bad deal. The MP I just bought used sells for 550 new, and I'm very happy with it, so a no bling custom isn't too far out of your range. this might help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qleAH3eZ9ag

Ohana has the TK-75CG within your price range that is an absolutely great sounding, all solid maple tenor with solid spruce top for $509.99 that includes a case. Mike will treat you right and I am sure it will be set up well when you get it. I am not affiliated with UkeRepublic as a disclaimer but he is a good guy. Here is the link:

http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ohana-maple-spruce-tk-35g

Note: The link says 35g but the link actually goes to the TK-75CG.

I had one of these and gave it to a consummate musician friend of mine.

Hey, if you can recommend a custom made uke for $500, then my question is.... what luthiers are building custom made ukes for $500?
By mid -range I was thinking $300 - $500. I thought I'ld need at least $1000 for a "custom" instrument. Thanks for the feedback everyone!, Michael

Search and you will find!! Glad to see Covered Bridge PM you. There's MP, Bradford ukes to name a few more.

Brad, 500.00 is low for a custom, but check out Boat Paddle and Bluegrass ukes, both are terrific for the price. Not exactly custom but LoPrinzi ukes are hard to beat too.

I can also recommend the Covered Bridge Ukes. I bought an early model and really like it.

Ukulele Underground is awesome! Thanks everyone for the links and the advice. I've got a long way to go as far as becoming a real good uke player, but I don't know if I've ever been as excited about an instrument. I've worked alot with wood , and even built a double bass, so I appreciate craftsmanship (probably why I'ld like a nice Tenor, even though I've only played for a month). I'ld love to be a 1 Uke man, but maybe you have to live a long uke life, and have a handful of ukes to find that perfect mate. Thanks for the help! Michael ( currently own an Ohana Concert CK-50g)

Top Bottom