Cover This Song!

CountryMouse

Reaction score
If you've ever been harassed on YouTube about copyright stuff, here is a protest song I wrote today. Cover it if you want, just give me credit and link back to my YouTube channel!

Mousie

Absolutely wonderful song and I heartily endorse every single word in it...Thanks Ms Mousie for saying what should be said loud and proud...!!!

Well done Maam...!!!

Absolutely wonderful song and I heartily endorse every single word in it...Thanks Ms Mousie for saying what should be said loud and proud...!!!

Well done Maam...!!!

Thanks so much, Tim! Why are we all hanging back and not all writing protest songs about this? We need to do more, somehow. Well, wait, Seeso did start the No Copyright Claim Cover Campaign. But have people been keeping up on this? I need to do more of these myself!

Mousie

Great song! Pretty soon you'll get a knock at the door when playing a cover of your favorite song within your own home. ;)

Loved it! Keep writing songs! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I have quite a few I've written there on my YouTube channel, on the playlist My Originals. I *was* trying to write a song a month for Grumpy Coyote's Bring the Song Challenge, but I just couldn't keep up. Now I write when something moves me to write about it.

Mousie

I'm new and a bit baffled by this youtube cover copyright issue. I've only covered two songs and they both have been covered by many other folks. After being posted for a week of so I got a screen saying that my song had been linked to copyrighted material and that this was some kind of warning. It immediately disappeared and I changed the title of my video to match one of the other covers. However, I got no warning on the other cover of a song my the same band. I just don't get it so can someone enlighten me? TIA, g2

I'm new and a bit baffled by this youtube cover copyright issue. I've only covered two songs and they both have been covered by many other folks. After being posted for a week of so I got a screen saying that my song had been linked to copyrighted material and that this was some kind of warning. It immediately disappeared and I changed the title of my video to match one of the other covers. However, I got no warning on the other cover of a song my the same band. I just don't get it so can someone enlighten me? TIA, g2

I see you started a thread about this last September and got some good feedback. I don't think things have changed that much on YouTube since then.

I don't know what it looks like to have any strikes against you on YouTube (and I hope I don't ever *knock on wood!*). Maybe you should go into the settings part of your account there and see what your status is. If they took down one video by that band, it seems the other video might eventually cause you trouble. If you get three strikes against you on YouTube, your channel gets taken down.

If I get one strike, I'm probably going to take down anything that might cause me to get any more strikes. I do NOT want to lose my channel. So far I've gotten three flags. One was for a parody that was waaaay too close to a parody done by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. I took it down. The second was for "Flight of the Bumble Bee" which was written in 1899 by Rimsky-Korsakov--I contested that. I haven't heard any more about that. I have one that is sitting there, flagged, "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". It may get ads. I am debating about taking it down, to ease my mind.

Search back further in the archives, back to late 2009 and early 2010. Here is a good thread by Seeso.

Mousie

Last edited:
Thanks CM, I received the "matched third party content" warning but didn't remember that was addressed in that thread so I didn't check, BUT IT WAS! It appears that I don't have to do anything about it, that the worst they will do is put ads on it which seems completely absurd. I'm flagged for copyright but it's okay if YT makes money off it, sheesh. It also seems weird that my other Dead cover wasn't flagged but I'm not complaining. cheers, g2

Thanks CM, I received the "matched third party content" warning but didn't remember that was addressed in that thread so I didn't check, BUT IT WAS! It appears that I don't have to do anything about it, that the worst they will do is put ads on it which seems completely absurd. I'm flagged for copyright but it's okay if YT makes money off it, sheesh. It also seems weird that my other Dead cover wasn't flagged but I'm not complaining. cheers, g2

Oh wait. Is this a Grateful Dead cover? You need to talk to Adelle the Great! She had an ongoing battle with YouTube about her Dead covers and won. Here is her YouTube channel.

Here is a thread I intend to read when I get the time. Take a look.

Mousie

Not yet, perhaps. But you wait and see.

Sites like this contain links and videos to content that has been derived from copyrighted work. That could be enough, especially if this SOPA/PIPA stuff comes off.

They're bad enough in this country, but the power of lobbyists in your government is frankly terrifying.

Sorry if I sound a bit negative. I am nothing like this in real life!

But it is worrying. It reminds me of the Chinese curse; may you live in interesting times.

These are interesting times.

Way to go, Mousie! Can you explain to me what "cover" means? I've seen covers of Ukulele Mike's solos on You Tube, but I'm not quite sure what it means, other than someone is playing his song.
Thanks!

YouTube will flag a lot of videos that way. That doesn't mean that anyone is in any rush to have it taken down.

I think very few people who post covers really understand how what they're doing relates to copyright and fair use.

I encourage anyone who does youtube covers to understand the standards of fair use and explain how your video meets the fair use guidelines in your youtube video info.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

http://socialtimes.com/fair-use-youtube_b61891

It's not enough to say "Fair Use". The doctrine of fair use must "clearly apply" to be used legitimately.

Top Bottom