New KoAloha Soprano

benjoeuke

Reaction score
Well I'm back from Maui and I am stoked to be the owner of a brand new super sweet uku! While I was there I went to several stores and played about 20 different sopranos, all made in Hawaii by about 5 or 6 different makers (most seemed to start with K) anyway, they were all pretty much amazing but in the end I chose the KoAloha based mostly on the tone, warm and smooth when played softly but bright, punchy and very loud when you attack it. The price is a factor too, at $550 I just didn't really see anything else that was as dynamic as the KoAloha. Enough jabbering, lets see the pix!

Attachments

• photo-21.jpg
    photo-21.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 80
  • photo-23.jpg
    photo-23.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
photo-24.JPGphoto-20.JPG

Attachments

• photo-21.jpg
    photo-21.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 15
  • photo-23.jpg
    photo-23.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
photo-17 copy.JPGphoto-16.jpg

I am going to try and put up a video of my attempt at Adele's "Rolling in the Deep" so you can get a sample, for what its worth ;)

Last edited:
Congrats! You're lucky to've been able to try out so many Hawaiian ukes. Have a blast with the KoAloha!

Beautiful uke-bet she sounds as good as she looks! Congrats!

Wonderful uke. It packs a wallop for such a small body right?

Congrats!

Where did u get it?? Bounty Music?? Lahaina Music??.................Very Nice

I have the same one. It rocks out. I adore it!

It really does pack a punch when you lay into it, but it is also really smooth and warm when played softly, the most dynamic range of tones I got from anything I tried while I was there. I was consistently blown away by every KoAloha that I played, a couple of Kamakas came in a close second for the sweet, warm tone but didn't have the volume and punch.
Howie1947: I went to both Bounty and Lahaina plus a few others, I even discovered the mysterious 'shack' in the back alley owned by Daniel and Dorris of "D & D" Ukuleles. They get them from a guy somewhere on Oahu and put their sticker inside, very well made, beautiful to look at, easy to play and sound good too. Daniel and Dorris might seem 'pushy' to some, as I have read in other threads but I think that is just because they don't speak English too well. They also, to me, seemed genuinely concerned about so many tourists buying worthless wall hangers from the 'ABC Store'. They even had a 1995 KoAloha, 1950's Kamaka, and 1970's Kamaka, $700 each.
I found this KoAloha at Kula Gold in Lahaina and instantly loved everything about it. Mike is a super nice guy, if you are ever there I highly recommend stopping in to meet him and see all his KoAlohas and Kanile'as, plus a bunch of Kohalas, Lanikais, etc. from $50 and up. He gave me a good deal on a hardshell case and a Kohala soprano for my son, and he's good at set ups too because he is a jeweler as well.

Congratulations on the new KoAloha. Sounds incredible! I love my long neck soprano. I bought straight from KoAloha. Pat picked it out for me. Nice job on the Adele tune. I need to work that out. Thanks.

Congratulations on the new KoAloha. Sounds incredible! I love my long neck soprano. I bought straight from KoAloha. Pat picked it out for me. Nice job on the Adele tune. I need to work that out. Thanks.
I'm jealous, I think I want a longneck now! thanks for the props, I got the tabs from ukulelehunt.com, I know I'm not playing it right though, I should probably just spend the $.99 to get the iTune so I can listen to it :)

Congratulations on your purchase. I just bought one and I am blown away by the sound quality and great action this uke has. It is really a treat to play. At first I was a bit unsure about the five point headstock but now I really like that part about it because the rest of the ukulele is not flashy at all. It adds just a little bit of character.

congrats to you as well jbem! The sound is amazing isn't it? It's funny about that headstock but I never really gave it a second thought, I was just so focused on the sound and fretwork of all the ukus that I was test driving. Maybe also because I have a background in mandolins, the headstock probably seemed very tame to me :)
I definitely want a concert scale now and according to the good folks at KoAloha, the longneck soprano will still fit in my soprano hardshell case! Did someone say, "UAS"?!?!?

Top Bottom