Kamaka HF-1 Opinions

Smiley

Reaction score
Interested in opinions on current build Kamaka HF-1 sopranos. String options and preferences, comparisons to other builders, resale value, etc.

Thanks!

Generally, they're great sopranos. With what builders do you want to compare?

Mya Moe, Black Bear, Pohaku, Donaldson, other K brands...

I'm really interested in what strings others have tried on the Kamaka and their impressions compared to the stock Kamaka strings.

Thanks for the response!

I don't like the Kamaka stock strings at all, they seem muted to me. I like a lot Worth clears (brighter) and my favorite are Fremont Blackline (a little mellower). I have yet to get my Donaldson for comparison and have never played a Mya Moe but the Black Bear was my favorite until I got the Kamaka. The best I can tell is the Kamaka's fretboard is bit wider and the neck is flatter/thinner making it easier for me to play chords and bar. I like the sound better on the Kamaka but it is a close second to the BB. Both are Koa, they sound different and both sound good. I prefer the neck on the Kamaka over the KoAloha and my understanding is the top on the KoAloha is thinner giving it a brighter sound. I prefer the mellower sound of the Kamaka. However both the KoAloha and the BB are light and balanced, I love that in a ukulele. I tried a couple other K Brands at the music store and found them not as comfortable or as light as the Kamaka and KoAloha so I spent very little time with them. What's a current build? Mine is 2-3 years old.

I *hate* the stock Kamaka strings. I've tried Aquilas, Worths, Fremont Hards, and finally have settled on Martin M600 fluorocarbons as my favorite strings for my Kamakas.

I can't comment on any of the other brands except for Koaloha, which I like in terms of sound and playability as much as I like Kamakas, but frankly, they don't appeal to me aesthetically. I don't care for the headstock and I feel that between the headstock, the tuners, and the bridge, there is way too much brand labeling going on. That aside, they sound wonderful and play beautifully.

But I'm a diehard Kamaka girl. And as such, I do have one suggestion for you - I'm assuming you're considering buying new. In that case, I'd recommend passing on the HF-1 and getting the pineapple HP-1 instead. I think both are the same price (they were when I bought mine, but that was before Kamaka's recent price hike) but in my opinion the pineapple is a far better sounding instrument. Louder, fuller, brighter, just all-around better.

hey smiley

I love my kamaka HF-1 bigtime. But I also love my mya moe soprano equally. I've tried lots of different sops, but only a few at the higher end of the market. I owned a couple of black bears which both sounded awesome but I sold those on purely on the basis of their aesthetic appeal which couldn't compete with the kamaka or the mm.

I think the kamaka is slightly a heavier build than the mm, but it is warm and mellow. The mm is lighter and brighter and, to me, a little sweeter. Both sound amazing though and I love each of them for different reasons. (Get one of each! he he...)

I prefer worth strings on most of my ukes these days, though I would give the southcoast strings a try on the kamaka. I also totally with Jane and her comments about the HP-1...great instrument and I regret selling mine. I do think overall though, that something like a mya moe or black bear has better note separation than a kamaka, just my opinion

Thanks for the great input! I've got a new HF-1 in hand but I'm struggling a bit to connect in the same way I have with my current concerts (Mya Moe w/Worth CM and wCollings w/ Aquila). I realize that comparing concerts and sopranos are apple and oranges but I felt like the strings might be what's standing between us. Based on what I'm reading I might keep her and try some other strings.

The HP-1 sounds like a great instrument. If I didn't have this one in hand i'd give it serious consideration.

I'd love to hear more opinions. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Current build being 2011 in this case. Not white or gold label.

Based on what I'm reading I might keep her and try some other strings.

Now that I think about it, when I still had my HF-1 I put Aquila concert (not soprano!) strings on it and really liked the way they sounded. Those or Martin M600s were probably my favorites for that uke; the stock strings and Worth CLs were probably my least favorites. Let us know what you experiment with!

Everyone has different preferences in string choices, I'd select a string by going how your uke sounds now,
and what strings it has.. for instance, if you had the stock strings and you wanted it brighter, louder and
more responsive, I'd go with Aquila.. if you want a balanced sweeter tone, I'd go with the martin M600,
and last if you want it a sweeter tone, I'd go with Koolau Alohi strings(thicker)..good luck and happy strummings..

Thanks for the helpful and informative input. I have Aquila concert and Worth CM sets at home so this seems like a great opportunity to experiment with different sets and see where my preferences with this instrument fall. I'll pick up some M600 and Fremont Blacklines as well. This should take a while and keep me out of trouble for a bit!

Hope you're enjoying your kk, Smiley!

I love my 2003 HF-1. Love it, love it, love it. Strings-wise, after trying a few sets, I've come to prefer nylon to fluorocarbon or nylgut strings on my kk. Recently, the Ko'olau Mahana set's been sounding and feeling great---nice deep tone, sparkly high notes, loud and proud.

Thanks for the helpful and informative input. I have Aquila concert and Worth CM sets at home so this seems like a great opportunity to experiment with different sets and see where my preferences with this instrument fall. I'll pick up some M600 and Fremont Blacklines as well. This should take a while and keep me out of trouble for a bit!

Definitely sounds like a plan. Trying new strings is always fun as soon as they set in. Personally, I think Aquilas and Worths sounded good on the Kamaka Soprano. I just sold mine. I can tell you that it held it's value spectacularly. And the sound was the best traditional-sounding soprano I've ever tried. Best soprano hands down? Probably not. But for traditional sound and having a piece of history/heirloom piece, absolutely.

Top Bottom