New Kamaka intonation off?

WOBster

Reaction score
I have a new Kamaka Tenor (HF3) and the intonation seems to be off...
This is my first nylon stringed instrument and first uke (been playing guitar for several years) so maybe I am missing something. As I fret down the board the notes get progressively sharper. If I fret at he 7th fret on the C string which should be G it is audibly sharp and checking it with a Snark it is 2-3 "divisions" (can't tell exactly how many cents off this is) sharp.
Is this a setup issue or is it related to the strings needing to stretch or something I just don't know about? While my guess is that it needs some setup...I thought I should check with those more knowledgeable than me before diving in (probably would have someone do this professionally)
Thanks for any help!

It's probably a set-up issue. The nice thing is that you have a very high quality instrument and if you have a professional address it, you can be sure it will be fine. By the way, I've heard that Kamaka now has pre-made, compensated saddles available for your instrument. If this is true, I bet it would be a great advantage having one to bring to your luthier before the work is done.

I agree with Mike that's it's like to be a string issue or at least the first thing I would check. Swap it, stretch it, flip it, whatever it takes. The steel string instruments you are used to playing do not suffer as much from intonation problems as nylons stringed ones do. "Two or three divisions" on your tuner is probably 10 to 15 cents which is quite noticeable and unacceptable. The C string is always the most problematic one to correct due it's large diameter. You'll often see it's position on the saddle compensated to increase it's scale length.

Actually the other strings are off, it is just most noticeable in the C string (bigger deviation)
Would I contact Kamaka directly to get a compensated saddle?
Thanks!

I think that would only work if they had the instrument in their possession. Compensating is almost an "art" and requires some interaction with the instrument. I think it's best done by a good repair/setup tech than by blindly swapping parts. If lowering the saddle doesn't reduce the string deflection enough to bring it back into tune, more drastic measures might be required. A good tech could test it and tell you if it's a minor or a major deal to fix and whether it needs to go back to the factory for something like recutting the saddle slot or worse, relocating the bridge.

i just reread the post about them having precut saddles. Sounds like a cheap way to start.

Is the action high? Every uke I've owned that had the same problem was easily fixed by lowering the strings. When the action is too high, fretting the strings stretches them and makes them go sharp, with the problem getting worse as you go down the neck.

I have a new Kamaka Tenor (HF3) and the intonation seems to be off...While my guess is that it needs some setup...I thought I should check with those more knowledgeable than me before diving in (probably would have someone do this professionally)
If this is the Kamaka you bought from Acoustic Vibes, why not contact them about the problem? They claim to do a proper setup of ukes. That would certainly be a fair expectation for a high-end instrument.

If this is a new instrument, take it back to the dealer. If you change or alter anything, you will void your warranty.

how old is your HF-3? you may already have a compensated saddle, as Kamaka has put them on tenors for a while now.

i also suggest checking your action / string height. how high is it currently?

If all the strings intonate poorly then I agree with Steve and suspect poor setup, either with the action being too high or poorly compensated saddle. If ALL the strings are intonate poorly and the action is set low enough then the bridge is likely to be in the wrong position. Take it back to the dealer.

I got the exact same issue with my Aria ACU-250 (all solid mahogamy), bad intonation especially the C string.
Today, I made a compensated saddle myself and now my uke plays sweet, no more intonation issue.
So go get a compensated saddle. It will certainly help to improve intonation.
It is even better if you bring it to a pro for setup. I have done setup on 8 mandolins and this is my first setup on uke, quite harder due to the fixed bridge.

The Ukulele is new...and I will take it to the dealer if need be but I am in Oregon and the dealer is in Arizona (authorized dealer) so if it is a simple fix I would love to not have to send it back! What are appropriate string heights (and at what points do you measure)? Since I don't have any real experience with ukuleles I don't have a frame of reference!
And I should add...Thanks to all of you, this is very helpful!

Last edited:
Even changing the strings will void the warranty...call them back and see if you can exchange it or get refunded..it is not a simple fix...next time buy from a reputable dealer who does set ups...
in the long run it is cheaper and less hassles like you have now..If you spent that much, you should have some expections..

Last edited:
To measure string heights, here are the general guidelines:
1) at fret#1, the string height (gap between the top of the fret and the bottom of the string) is between 0.012 to 0.015 (15 thousands of an inch)
2) at fret#12, should be about 0.090
If you are too far from the dealer or a luthier, you may want to make a compensated saddle yourself. I made one yesterday.
It's good to learn how to do this. It can be done with very simple tools (superglue, a small diamond file, sanding paper).

The Ukulele is new...and I will take it to the dealer if need be but I am in Oregon and the dealer is in Arizona (authorized dealer) so if it is a simple fix I would love to not have to send it back!
It's a bummer to have to ship the uke back to the retailer, but I think that will be the safest option to avoid any warranty issues. You could ask the retailer if there is a luthier they trust near you who could make the necessary adjustments (at the retailer's expense), but the chances of that are very slim. You'd also want to check with Kamaka to verify that this 3rd party is acceptable to them since the ultimate warranty is covered by Kamaka.

Again, we're talking about a $1k+ uke. I would not mess around with anything that would risk voiding the warranty. If you want to learn how to adjust action height, practice on a Dolphin or some other low-priced uke.

Aloha Drew,
Kamaka's Policy if I got it right, is if you buy the uke from them, they will honor the policy for these type of issues ...however if you buy it from a dealer, it is their responsibility...maybe because they get it wholesale...Always never hurts to call though..Good Luck!!!!

Last edited:
Aloha Drew,
Kamaka's Policy if I got it right, is if you buy the uke from them, they will honor the policy for these type of issues ...however if you buy it from a dealer, it is their responsibility...maybe because they get it wholesale...Always never hurts to call though..Good Luck!!!!
Aloha, Stan. Yes, the OP definitely needs to go through the dealer first. I was just thinking way ahead in the very unlikely case (worst case scenario) that this was a problem not simply solved by adjusting action height and/or dressing the frets. Those are things that the dealer's in-house setup guy could handle.

But if it was something more serious involving changing the bridge, fretboard or whatever, then I imagine the dealer would send the uke back to Kamaka. I wouldn't want to be responsible for anything done to the uke that Kamaka would not approve.

Like you said, it never hurts to call. For something this pricey I'd call both the dealer and Kamaka. Shoots...I'd probably call you, too. :)

I want to attempt this action adjustment on my $50 Sunlite, but I'm going to practice on my $20 Mahalo first. :) A $1k Kamaka, yikes.. I'd send it back.

Before looking into repairs, try playing your kk more gently. Many guitarists and mandolin players pick up a uke and press the strings all the way to the fretboard with their powerful fingers. This'll pull almost any uke sharp. For best intonation, fret with just enough pressure for a clean note, no more.

Top Bottom