How to get started?

WOBster

Reaction score
I am a woodworker but have never built an instrument. It looks like a lot of fun but I have no idea where to start. Do I start with a kit? is there a standard reference book or resource? Any help greatly appreciated!

Take a look at some videos. Pete Howlett's are a good place to start. Then decide whether you think your woodworking skills are up to it.

From there, you can either do a kit or dive straight in. That's what I did, but I have thirty + years cabinet making behind me! ;)

The Stewart MacDonald kits are supposed to be great. I believe they come with a comprehensive video made by Gordon and Char Mayer of Mya-Moe Ukuleles.

Youtube is a great place to start. I second ukulian's recommendation of Pete Howlett's videos. Mya-Moe also has some informative videos.

I've been using the Hana Lima 'la manual and it's a huge help.

And, of course, the advice of the very generous and talented builders who post here is extremely helpful.

I have had very little woodworking experience and am finishing up my first build, with another started, so don't feel too intimidated. As the saying goes, if I can do it, so can you. :)

Good luck!

If you have wood working skills already....I'd just jump in. Lots of good stuff on youtube and stewmac.com. Cumpiano's guitar building book is a great resource too. And of course this forum and the luthiersforum.com is great too

I did my first build after watching all of Pete Howlett's videos and all of Dave G's videos on YouTube. Great instruction and encouragement are found in these two sources alone...and they are but a small fraction of what is available on this forum and from other builders on YouTube. Research, build, evaluate, repeat.

Great information...looks like I am off to YouTube!

I;d spend time watching ALL the luthier oriented videos especially the truly amatuer ones - these guys nearly always think way outside the box and come up with the most interesting small/hobby workshop solutions. At the the other end are the big boys - look at their methods and ethic to get a feel of how far you can go. My vids are more ' a few minutes with a ukulele builder' - I'm not trying to show the best, simplest, most sophisdticated way of doing thingsd but MY way which is only onme small snapshot of what we all do.... as with analogue where it is wise to 'read widely', watch widely :)

And all the best - this is one of the greatest advetures I have ever been on!

Top Bottom