Wanted: Budget secondhand uke

chris667

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking to acquire a new uke to take on a canoeing trip. As you can see from this thread, I am rather accident prone. I'm not taking my beloved Luna paddling!

If possible, I would like it to be either tenor or baritone sized and in GCEA tuning. This is partly because I currently like their sound and don't have one, and partly because if the canoe fails I can use it as a life raft. But I don't mind about size really. So long as it can hold a tune and is playable I'm happy.

I know I could buy a new uke for not much scratch, but I don't really like to buy new manufactured goods; there must be thousands of cheap ukes outgrown by people and collecting dust.

I'll pay, obviously, or swap it for something. But I should stress I don't want an expensive uke, just one that can hold a tune.

I look forward to hearing from you.:cool:

HMMM. canoeing can be pretty wet, even the best occasionally tip over. either go all plastic or get a good dry bag for it. don't have any cheap tenors or baris. I'd suggest an Islander[vintage plastic]or a cheap Makala or Lanikai , about $70 shipped. oh you're in the UK. make that $170 shipped, just kidding , I'm sure you're better off buying over there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-MK-T-M...441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab429ba41
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ISL...843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2319b35e4b

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'cheap' but I have a Lanikai LU11 I dont use any more since I just bought a solid body tenor and cant put it down!! it did me for 2 months, is fitted with Aquilas and holds a tune just fine. It is, however, a soprano....

By the way, I'm in Coventry. Just down the road from you! Small world eh?? :)

Don't worry, I'm only an aspiring cheap uke owner but an established paddler - I have all the kit! My new uke will go in a dry bag inside an airtight barrel. I'm not saying it will come back in one piece, but getting wet won't be a problem!

A cheap laminate one is what I'm after. And if it's used, that's better.

Just seen your reply, Paulie! The UK is pretty well represented here, isn't it?

The Lannikai sounds good, if you would like to sell or if there's anything you'd like to have in part exchange let me know!

Top Bottom