Idea!

I think it would be cool if you have the bandwidth to handle a website like that. If you aren't network savey, it takes a buttload of bandwidth to do a video website like that.

you might run into trouble with the name, uketube already exists:

http://uketube.weebly.com/

In a different form than what you're going for, but still.

Make sure you get a good spokesperson to plug it. I'd say Kevin Youkilis of the Boston Red Sox would be a natural.

I've been thinking of making a video sharing website like youtube. I would probably name it uketube. Would anyone be interested?

uketube dot com is probably available (to buy from owner)... it's registered, but just a placeholder linkfarm kinda page. Probably have to be very careful of the name, too. The big "g" might not like that and come after your ass-ets.

Then again, maybe it's you that already has it registered!

Last edited:
I genuinely don't wish to sound nasty/critical. But what does it do that Youtube doesn't?

I do like the name, as it happens. I just want to know why I'd go there.

I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

YouTube is the de facto standard for video sharing.

You're essentially looking to build a walled garden. When most performers want to get their music out to the widest possible audience.

I for one will stick with YouTube.

You could call it uketub. Think of the logo possibilities.

I think it's a solution in search of a problem.

YouTube is the de facto standard for video sharing.

You're essentially looking to build a walled garden. When most performers want to get their music out to the widest possible audience.

I for one will stick with YouTube.

That is of course true for artists that record original songs. But as far as I have heard, youtube will delete covers of songs unless you legally are allowed to do it by contacting the owner of the song. Up to now I have just only heard about it, but a quick search on google shows this for example: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/youtube/thread?tid=17e0364d26a0016d&hl=en

So it would be nice for people who do lots of covers. Downside is, as soon as it gets big, you will probably also have to delete videos in the same way that youtube does it...

Pretty soon, we're going to be arrested for humming our fave tunes in the street. "Halt,you! That's ROLLING IN THE DEEP! DID YOU GET A RELEASE FROM ASCAP?!!"

I have a baptismal certificate and my soul belongs to Jesus, so that's entirely within the law. As to the "Rolling in the Deep" cover, it would seem in copyright law, persiflage (or parody) is covered as fair usage (my lawyer Weird Al Rabinowitz tells me this.) So as long as you change the words, you are cool. So I sing a hit such as Journey's I wanna know what love is as "I wanna know where my glove is.. I want you to show me. I left them on your car seat. I know you can show me."

I have a baptismal certificate and my soul belongs to Jesus, so that's entirely within the law. As to the "Rolling in the Deep" cover, it would seem in copyright law, persiflage (or parody) is covered as fair usage (my lawyer Weird Al Rabinowitz tells me this.) So as long as you change the words, you are cool. So I sing a hit such as Journey's I wanna know what love is as "I wanna know where my glove is.. I want you to show me. I left them on your car seat. I know you can show me."

Oh, your lawyer is Weird Al Rabinowitz? My sister is married to his cousin's friend's brother! Move along, have a nice day now!

Latest I've heard is that the melody and the words have to be different, making the parody as I think of it, illegal too. Only thing safe are the chords.....

Above is an Attorney's warning to a church...
I understand the church is stiil doing it...

Last edited:
but, and don't quote me on this, I believe to release a parody you still need to get permission from the copyright holders of the song. I remember reading an article about it somewhere, how Weird Al has occasionally run into problems with that, if the original artist says you can't parody the song, you can't parody the song.

Top Bottom