Uke hanger project

Colonel Uke

Reaction score
For my 100th post, I thought I would show off my new DIY uke hangers.
After receiving one of those expensive, $15 String Swing ukulele hangers from a friend at Christmas, I began to realize just how expensive it would become if I started buying one of those for all my ukes, even with the small number I have. Seeing Aldine's post a few months ago about DIY uke hangers got me inspired to try it for myself. I knew I had some scrap walnut and oak boards in the garage that were looking for a use, so I started to work. I did modify his design slightly to hide the screw heads a little more. I knew I wanted to have room for 8-10 ukes, but I also had to work around the lengths of scrap wood and available wall space I had. In the garage I found two old walnut boards, one just over 6 feet and the other just over 3 feet. I knew I wanted to keep things simple so I made two 45 degree cuts on each end to make square points and then cut squares out of oak to go under the screw in tool hangers that I picked up at Lowe's for about $1.50 each. First, I layed out all my ukes side by side to determine how much space between hooks I would need for the ukes not to touch. For me, this worked out to 13". My 6' board was a 1X8, so for it I cut 6, 4" oak squares, my 3' board was a 1X6, so for it I cut 3, 3" squares. Next, I glued the squares down in place and screwed them in place from the back, making sure to pre-drill that hardwood first. After that, I sealed it all with 2 coats of clear polyurethane and screwed in the tool hooks. Finally, I used a stud finder to locate the wall studs and then screwed the whole thing onto the wall putting a screw into each of the three studs. Problem is, they're already full.
photo(8).jpg
photo(7).JPG photo(3).jpg photo(2).jpg photo(4).jpg

""screw in tool hangers that I picked up at Lowe's for about $1.50 each.""
Darlin' I wouldn't object if you wanted a bigger house, you could have more room for your shoes and even more closet space for your dresses. You are a good understanding man Paul.

Very nice. I'd be sowing off that collection.

Uh... do you use the Kook-a-lele to shoot pool, too?

Nice job on the uke hangers! I might suggest hanging your Swagerty in a different way. I started to do the same thing, but was worried that unintentionally a tuning peg could get cracked or broken (and they are extremely difficult to find). I took hooks from the "home improvent" center and ground the ends of slightly. Then I dipped them in a liquid rubber solution. I am attaching a couple of pictures.
SN856518.jpgSN856519.jpgSN856520.jpgSN856521.jpg

I started my own uke hanger project last night. It should be done today and will make sure to post photos. Did you try to hide mounting screws?

very nice! I did the same thng for my guitars with a single long board, but mine doesnt look as good as yours, i just used a 2x4 lol but the individual ones ive been making have come out nice :)

one thing Ive noticed though , not all hardware hook are created equal. ive seen the rubber coated colored ones but also a dark gray kind that have a very rough surface, I dont like those, im afraid over time those would rub an marr a finish from repeated use. I am also plannign on tryign using turned dowels instead of the hardware hangers and see how those turn out.

Nice job on the uke hangers! I might suggest hanging your Swagerty in a different way. I started to do the same thing, but was worried that unintentionally a tuning peg could get cracked or broken (and they are extremely difficult to find). I took hooks from the "home improvent" center and ground the ends of slightly. Then I dipped them in a liquid rubber solution. I am attaching a couple of pictures.

I'm also concerned about rubbing over time marring the finish. I would think that even the plastic coating would do that. I'm going to make a 2 shelf unit with hooks under the bottom shelf out of popular 1x and paint it white to match the woodwork. I'm going to hang the ukes in their cases from the hooks. This won't look as nice as having them out for display, but they'll be off the floor and safer than they are now. FWIW

I started my own uke hanger project last night. It should be done today and will make sure to post photos. Did you try to hide mounting screws?

Covering the mounting screws is a good idea, I was just trying to get something up quick. There's a couple ways to do it. You can drill the hole larger, about 3/8", down about a 1/4" deep and use either a removable wood cap, or glue in a piece of wood dowel, cut it off and sand flush for a more permanent fix.

not all hardware hook are created equal. ive seen the rubber coated colored ones but also a dark gray kind that have a very rough surface, I dont like those, im afraid over time those would rub an marr a finish from repeated use. I am also plannign on tryign using turned dowels instead of the hardware hangers and see how those turn out.

Hadn't thought about using dowels, but that is a good, even cheaper idea that would allow for custom neck widths (soprano vs baritone. ) I would use a drill press and drill the holes for the dowels at a slight angle upwards to keep the ukes from sliding off. The hooks that I used do have smooth, soft rubber padding on them, and none are a tight fit, so I think they'll do well enough without too much harm. My ukes are all players, not lookers, so I'm not too concerned.

Great idea on the hanging option for the Swagertys. I've never seen those other colors that you have them in. Nice collection. I'm still trying to figure out how to restring mine. I got new Worth strings that will work, but the string holes in the tuning pegs end up being outside the neck when they're in place. Ideas? I'd love to see a close up pic or description of how you wind the strings on the pegs.

I want to be sure I understand. Are you saying that when the pegs are all the way in the head stock the hole for the string is on the outside of the head stock? I've not been well (sinus infection) the last couple of days so I am a little foggy :) I will take some additional photo's for you tomorrow.

I want to be sure I understand. Are you saying that when the pegs are all the way in the head stock the hole for the string is on the outside of the head stock? I've not been well (sinus infection) the last couple of days so I am a little foggy :) I will take some additional photo's for you tomorrow.

Yes, when the pegs are in all the way the holes are near the outside of the neck, or at least covered by the wood. No other holes there, so I know they're the original holes and original pegs.

Top Bottom