6 custom concert ukes short sound sample comparison

Doc_J

Reaction score
Here is a relatively short sound comparison of 6 custom concert ukes. Each uke is played with the same music sequence. There is some finger picking and strumming. Unfortunately there are several string types and maybe not the best type for each uke.

See whch one you like best.

Here's the line up.

1) Anakoneke Koa, Freemont Medium Strings
2) Black Bear Koa, Worth CM
3) Earnest Instruments Palomino mahogany, Worth CM
4) Kepasa Middlesex, cedar top and zebra wood, South Coast Light
5) Boat Paddle 12 Fret, spruce top and mahogany, Worth CL
6) DaSilva spruce top and purpleheart, Aquila Nylgut

Sound file with all 6: http://www.box.com/s/bj13iuqe5uo0v6cqdxvu

Sound cloud with each as separate files: http://soundcloud.com/doc-hj/sets/concert-comparison-sample

and pics of course.
(the same line up as the sound file, but from Right to Left).
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
It's great to hear soundsamples of non "K" brand ukes. It just shows that there are lots of high quality uke brands. I am so confused with the pics since the front and backs don't match. :confused:

It's great to hear soundsamples of non "K" brand ukes. It just shows that there are lots of high quality uke brands. I am so confused with the pics since the front and backs don't match. :confused:

Sorry, the pics show the same line up as the sound file from Right to Left.

hey...the back of uke picture just changed!!! I can figure it out now...Before there were 5 ukes and one of them was definitely not the same. Thanks

I'll just say now that my favs were the Boat Paddle and the Earnest Palomino?

Thanks for the sample, what a nice decision to have to make, which one of those to pick up. :)

Fantastic doc!!! Great job and thanks for this, nice consistent playing throughout. I pretty much have to say I didn't dislike any of them, but my favourites were the two koa ukes by Black Bear and Anakoneke.

But the question remains as to which one is your favourite mate, and why?

Fantastic doc!!! Great job and thanks for this, nice consistent playing throughout. I pretty much have to say I didn't dislike any of them, but my favourites were the two koa ukes by Black Bear and Anakoneke.

But the question remains as to which one is your favourite mate, and why?

Thanks. Honestly, I can't truly say which I favor the most. Some days I just like playing one more than the others. Lately, I've been playing the Anakoneke, Boat Paddle, and Kepasa the most. I think the 12-Fret Boat Paddles are a great value.

The Three top to me..Anakoneke, Kepasa and DeSilve...not in any particular order...not feeling well, so best for now..

Very nice comparison, Doc. Thanks for the opportunity to hear so many handcrafted instruments.

I'll take the Anakoneke, please.

The Anakoneke is definitely my favorite from the sound clips. They are all good.

Thanks so much for the samples, Doc. Excellent work.

Can you say a quick word or two about the action/fretboard width of each? "Playability"?

Also, what was your recording setup?

Much thanks

I sure liked that Kepasa

The Anakoneke is distinctly smaller in the body compared to the others in the photos.
What is its body-length measurement compared to one or two of the others?
Does it feel notably smaller when you're playing it?

Thanks so much for the samples, Doc. Excellent work.

Can you say a quick word or two about the action/fretboard width of each? "Playability"?

Also, what was your recording setup?

Much thanks

Hi Craig,

The recording setup was a TASCAM DR07 portable digital recorder, edited with Audacity.
Playing distance was about 2-3 feet away when recording, with no special effects. Sampled at 48kHz, saved as MP3 96k bps.

I haven't changed the setup of any of these instruments, except for the Anakoneke. All have nice low action at the nut for easy fretting, but not too low at the 12th fret so it is easy to pick or strum without running into the fretboard. Sorry, I haven't taken any measurements. While all have great playability, the DaSilva has the thinest neck and the easiest fretting for me. The Black Bear is next thinest in neck size, with the Anakoneke being the thickest (which works well with profile and width) The Boat paddle has what I call a "thumb rest" between the neck and the back of the head stock. I'm not used to this feature yet, so that is the only one of these ukes where I note any fretting feel difference.

I sure liked that Kepasa

Me too, but I don't know if the Southcoast light strings on it now are the best for it. I want to put some mediums on next.

The Anakoneke is distinctly smaller in the body compared to the others in the photos.
What is its body-length measurement compared to one or two of the others?
Does it feel notably smaller when you're playing it?

Since I play sopranos and a tenor once in while I don't notice the differences in length (small right arm angle differences). I do think the shorter body puts the bridge in the sweet spot.

The Anakoneke body and DaSilva body are each 10-3/8 inches long, the Kepasa body is 10-3/4 inches, the Black Bear is 11-1/4 inches.

Last edited:
I'm really impressed with the Anakoneke. I thought it was a Hawaiian made uke but they are in S.F. Dasilva was my next favorite and he is in Berkeley. There must be something in the air to get their creative juices flowing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom