Any thoughts on Moana Ukes

unlucky07

Reaction score
I was searching on the boards regarding Moana Ukes but could not find one. I saw a listing selling one but I was having hard time getting info on the net. Does anyone have any experience with these? If so... opinions, intonation, playability. Thanks in advance.

Tiki King's site has a listing with limited info on this brand name.

I found a couple listed on ebay and some were on the UK site with a UK-70 model ##, which is shared by a Samick ukulele (the Greg Bennett model).

I also found some with a 55KDXG model ##, which is shared by Vineyard as well.

Based on what little I've seen this is a China-built uke of entry level quality, but not having played one myself, I can't offer you much info on how they handle.

For that price range, I'd personally look towards a Kala, and you can find tons of info on them, especially here.

Good luck!

I've just had 4 in for review (I write for a magazine), and I was most impressed. The entry level mahogany soprano wasn't anything special - I had no desire to play it again. The more expensive mahogany soprano (abalone inlays, slightly bigger, deeper body, 15 frets) was much better. The all flame maple soprano was absolutely brilliant - loud, punchy, bright sounding (all the things I don't like in guitars!) - I had 14 ukuleles to choose from, and I found myself picking that one up again and again. Intonation was pretty much perfect all the way up. I also liked their Koa concert - it was the best of the 4 concerts I had. Nicely made, good intonation again, tone not quite as dark as mahogany, but nowhere near as bright as the maple. See pictures below.

PA020014.jpg

PA020015.jpg

PA020016.jpg

PA020017.jpg

Just to be absolutely clear, I liked all except the cheapest one, but I'd buy the maple soprano in a New York minute. It's gone to the top of my list of realistic soprano ukulele wants.

Top Bottom