Traveling with my Koaloha

stevepetergal

Reaction score
I have traveled with ukuleles without any problem before, but heard somewhere that some people lower the tension on their strings before flying. Is this something I should be doing?

I would do it, just to be safe. I believe the concern is that the strings contract, and four strings contracting is enough to pull the (only glued) bridge of your precious uke.

Yupp. Everytime we traveled, my brother would tell me to loosen the strings on the ukes.

I religiously detuned before every flight for years. Last year, I asked Chris Kamaka whether I should and he said it was unnecessary. I don't think there is any harm in doing so, and if it makes you feel more comfortable, why not? But there are lots of people who disagree that it is needed.

Here are some prior discussions on the topic.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...cessary-to-loosen-strings-on-ukes-when-flying

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?9899-takeing-your-uke-on-the-plane

Steel strings might contract in the baggage hold, but Nylons in the overhead bin? I donno.
Also that Koaloha has screws holding the bridge on.
I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're bringing it onboard it won't matter and you shouldn't be checking your uke anyway <G>!

I didn't check my uke and have hand-carried all the way since I start traveling. Only the last trip I did detuned the strings, becoz it was a 10+ hr flight. And to be honest, this detune thing gave me more trouble. I found the strings on my concert need to tune back and settle down in several days. Before the flight they were all stablized.
I don't know -- next time I won't check my uke and not detune when I fly to US. I don't think it will damage your ukulele.

It sounds like detuning your uke strings is like turning off electronic devices during take-off and landing. Probably doesn't make any difference in any way, but I still don't want to be the one to find out. ;)

If you're bringing it onboard it won't matter and you shouldn't be checking your uke anyway <G>!

If you're on a long haul flight that you saved up for a year to take, and you're at the airport all ready to go, and they refuse to let you carry it on, because long haul flights are a lot more strict, then what choice do you have?

Traveling with your Koaloha. Stevepetergal, you're downright insane. LOL

This is indirectly pertinent, but I just read this yesterday so I'll post here--it's Reno's Music in Fishers, IN website (under their online name) and the last paragraph has their opinion on storage (not flying).
http://www.ukulelehotline.com/servlet/the-template/ukeinfo/Page

What would I do? Detune it only a 1/2 step. How do I know that's the right thing to do? I haven't the foggiest notion.

If you're on a long haul flight that you saved up for a year to take, and you're at the airport all ready to go, and they refuse to let you carry it on, because long haul flights are a lot more strict, then what choice do you have?

I've always had good luck with bringing my ukes on long haul flights. Usually they have more storage space so they can handle a bit more than the smaller planes. The only time I've ever had issues is with short flights on small planes. Usually, it's the shorter the flight, the smaller the plane the more limited the over head baggage space (and size). I also use a gig bag to keep the size down, but I've carried on hard cases a number of times as well.

Worst case scenario (although it's never happened to me) I have to put it under the seat in front of me. I have done just that on flights where I've had an extra seat next to me. If overhead is full and you don't want it at your feet, there's also the flight attendant closet(s) or behind the last row of seats. The earlier you board, the better your options so get there early.

As for de-tuning. Never done it for traveling and never had an issue. Nylon strings don't put that much tension on your neck anyways.

Ken was saying that it's been a recurring issue for him. They're pretty strict in Finland, but it doesn't seem like I'll be going on any long haul flights anytime soon anyway. It's just that you might be backed into a corner of not having a choice but to check your instrument. It's always the risk.

If you loosen the strings you release tension on the head stock and this can be bad.
If the case takes a jolt at the head stock gets whip lashed and may snap off.
You should ALWAYS make sure there is something under the head stock for support.
I have traveled cross country with guitars and ukuleles and have never loosened the strings.

I've never loosened the strings of either ukuleles or guitars after some 25 years of traveling with them. No problems. Never check, always carry-on. These days have noticed much less stress when traveling with a uke versus guitar, though. Obviously the world of travel is different now, but I can remember when airlines were very accommodating to using the closet for a guitar case. Not so much anymore. I used to fly with my "travel" uke and the regret of not having my Kamaka HF-3 with me always outweighed the concern for damage. As long as you have a nice case or one of the higher end gig bags, you should be fine. Enjoy your instruments.

Plainsong: you and I and some others on UU (like original poster, stevepetergal) have RISA sticks....man, those are great for travel. Literally, put it in a messenger bag and no one knows you're carrying a uke! And can noodle and play even while sitting and waiting for the plane, and don;t get as many stares as a loud uke. Well, except if they see the odd instrument, that is. I tell them it's a zither.

Ken was saying that it's been a recurring issue for him. They're pretty strict in Finland, but it doesn't seem like I'll be going on any long haul flights anytime soon anyway. It's just that you might be backed into a corner of not having a choice but to check your instrument. It's always the risk.

Last edited:
Top Bottom