Low G tuning

frankiefirefox

Reaction score
Aloha!

I just had my first lesson and my instructor suggested that I set up one of my ukes to low G tuning. I definitely am going to do so, but where do I get a low G string? Would the low G sound better one of my sopranos or my tenor?

I have one of my tenors set up low G.

You can get strings for Low G tuning at your favorite uke shop.
I've never tried a Low G on a soprano but I believe that some songs like Braddah Iz's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow..." are easier to play/sound better using the Low G tuning on the tenor.
Aloha

Welcome to my Maine neighbor.I am just across the border in New Brunswick.I had my tenor set to low G but I found the G string kinda did not sound right so I set up my soprano long neck to low G and I really enjoy the sound.I also am trying to play Herb otha san style.He plays a Martin Low G.Your instructor should be able to guide you to find the strings that you need .Good luck.

I recently put Low-G Fremont Blacklines on my tenor and really like the sound. After some experimenting, I've found I prefer the sound and feel of an unwound low G. I also put a set of Low-G Worth medium Browns on my Mainland cedar/rosewood pineapple soprano. The jury's still out on whether or not I'm going to keep the Mainland in low-G but it makes some tunes sound better, especially when fingerpicking.

My two cents on this. I like a low G for some songs, but... If you are just trying it out, you might want to start with a wound low G. The wound type tend to fit the nut slot without issue. I prefer unwound, but had to file the nut slot to fit the string.

The reason I prefer unwound is because wound strings are too loud and drown out the higher strings. You can avoid this adjusting your strum to aim for the c string, but it's a bit annoying. You can get low g strings from elderly instruments, and I believe juststrings sells single low g's

ive used an aquila low g soprano set on my kamaka pineapple. its a wound string and fits well. i missed the high g, so its now back in the standard tuning.

Top Bottom