Mitch Chang!

Harold O.

Reaction score
Except for a few UU posts and a quick look at some YouTube videos, I had no idea who Mitch Chang was/is until last weekend. Turns out that he's not only an event promoter in the southern California area (Slack Key Festival, Jake concerts, etc), he teaches a lot of ukulele classes.

I contacted him without introduction and asked him to visit the Canogahana Players group. We're a beginner/intermediate group that meets twice a month.

Mitch was great and I highly suggest to others that have regular meetings to do what we did. He sat in with us as we went through and played our usual songs for about an hour and a half. For our final half hour, I turned the floor over to him.

He had been taking notes all along and was able to point out some cool things we take for granted, a few ways to improve/change up our playing, and offered a few tips on lively strumming techniques.

Had he not been willing to sit through our first bit of time, he wouldn't have known what we needed to improve upon. Classy move. Some other instructors may not have had the patience or confidence to sit back, play along, and enjoy themselves before getting to work.

So if you have regular meetings, see if you can't find a local pro able to come out once in a awhile and do what Mitch did for us.

We didn't need or want a full-on workshop or concert, just some tips. It was way cool and a neat way to grow the group without expending a lot of effort. We'll be having him back later in the year.

Mitch is a member here too..but hasn't been on for about a year and half....on You Tube He goes by Tafkam1.... he was a student and friend of Bill Tapia...

I wonder if Mitch would come up to the San Francisco Bay Area and do the same thing at one of our San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion meetings. It sounds like your group's experience with Mitch was a great experience for everyone!

I wonder if Mitch would come up to the San Francisco Bay Area and do the same thing at one of our San Francisco Ukulele Rebellion meetings. It sounds like your group's experience with Mitch was a great experience for everyone!

I don't know if Mitch gets to spend much time here, so PM me and I will give you his email address. You can ask him directly.

ADD:
or go his website: http://www.ukulelewebsite.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom