New Covered Bridge

jwieties

Reaction score
I started playing ukulele this past Sept. I've played acoustic guitar for sometime and have owned a fair number of quality guitars including Martin's, Taylors, Gibsons, Larrivees and Nationals. I've also played many high quality hand builds by well known luthiers. For the past couple years I've hardly touched the guitar... certainly have made no progress in my playing. Picking up the ukulele has again made me excited about playing music. Can't get enough of this little instrument. After catching ukulele fever, I knew it would not be long before picking up a nice hand built. I was never a good enough guitar player to drop $4 grand or more on a luthier built guitar. However, There are so many really amazing ukuleles out there at such reasonable prices.

So.... I am now the very lucky owner of the first Covered Bridge Concert. Just arrived today and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I have a couple hours of playing time and here's my initially impressions.

First, I've never judged an acoustic instrument by how it sounds There are other factors, which I find when present, the tone falls into place. It basically boils down to how it feels. An instrument has to jump to life when played and this uke delivers. It is so responsive and expressive. It is feather light, so much so that I would have guessed that the box was empty when it was delivered. Another factor regarding feel is playability. The action is right in the sweet spot. Not to low, so you can really dig in, but low enough to play smooth and effortless.

I can't help it, but looks are important. In general, I like no bling and humble woods. This ukulele nails it. Perry and Terry really let the wood do the talking. The redwood top is so stunning in its simplicity. The flamed myrtle is truly outrageours (and smells good enough to eat). Now I pay close attention to detail, but I am not super critical of small flaws. I would never expect any instrument to be flawless. There are a few small tool marks and in the sunlight one can see a few swirls in the finish. However, there are many more examples of just how talented Perry and Terry are, such as the way the bindings flow into the heel cap is beautiful. I am extremely impressed with the quality and craftsmanship of this incredible little uke.

This ukulele hits many of the factors I look for... so how's it sound? Again, I'm fairly new to ukes, but have played quite a few over the past months. I also know acoustic guitars inside out. Everyone wants their new instrument to sound great, but I will tell it like it is... This ukulele sounds amazing. It is very rich and full with huge sustain. I truly can't imagine it sounding any better.

Perry and Terry are putting out some very fine ukuleles. I sure everyone knows how reasonably priced they are and I can say without a doubt that they represent an incredible value in the hand built uke market. Perry and I have exchanged a few emails and phone calls. He's been responsive and informative. I wish covered bridge all the success they deserve.

I'm hoping to have time to do a video or two tomorrow, but until then, here's a couple pics.
photo 1.jpg
photo 3.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new ukulele! And thanks for the review. That wood really does look amazing. The most important thing about an ukulele is how its owner relates to it, and it seems like you found "The One." Happy strumming!

That's a beautiful instrument! When my custom is built, its going to be myrtle/redwood. The flamed myrtle back on your's is really nice, and I'll bet it does sound good.

It is good to see Oregon builders using Oregon wood. The grain patterns and colour variations are just beautiful. I am glad to see that they used PEGHEDS for the individual string tuners. There is a piece shaped as a gunstock blank which is flamed all four sided from end to end. It has been moving with us since 1982. It cries out to become ukuleles rather than a gun stock.

Congratulations on the new Covered Bridge. Nice initial review. Wow, that looks fabulous.
Can't wait to hear you play it.

I have a Terry-and-Perry pineapple concert from back before the name "Covered Bridge" existed; at the time it was made, I believe Terry and Perry did mainly tenors. I think it was also one of their first experiments with inlay. It has no binding and is actually rather heavier than many of my ukes, and there are a number of flaws in the finish (which I don't actually care about at all; it's the sound that's important to me). Nonetheless, it is one of my sweetest-sounding instruments and is also lovely to look at. It rings like a bell, and the intonation is perfect. The myrtle is just beautiful. I do tend to praise this ukulele a lot, but it deserves all the praise it gets. I would imagine that the Covered Bridge ukuleles are just getting better and better, and it makes me sad when they languish in the Marketplace, unbought.

Thanks for the congrats guys.
MDS - You may be right. This could be the one... for now. I tend to like variety, but I'm not a collector, so I'm sure I'll get something else down the line and move this one along, but it will not be because I'm not happy with it. In fact I now have two great ukes that I'll be selling to justify this purchase. However, it's sticking around for a while and I'll enjoy every second of it.

Kem - couldn't agree more. I've played a small sampling of k brands and hand builds. Of them there was an MP and a Kanile'a that really stood out. In regards of tone and craftsmanship this Covered Bridge is every bit as good. There may not be quite the level of finish detail as some of the big guns (Mya Moe, compass Rose, Black Bear...), but they are not far from it and I'm convinced there is no sacrifice in tone. Make no mistake, they are also absolutely beautiful and you must really look for the things I'm talking about. These ukuleles are an incredible bargain and I'm sure as they get in more hands, they will not stick around at the prices being asked.

I completed a little video review. Will load it early this evening.

Okay... here's a little video.
Not your typical environment and there are plenty of flubs in the playing. However, the lighting is great and really shows the uke well. The acoustics aren't too bad either, and mother nature was adding a little percussion in the form of precipitation. I suppose I'll add a thread in the review forum in a week or two after I've gotten to play it a bit longer.

so I'm sure I'll get something else down the line and move this one along

PM me when it's time to say goodbye. I'm sorry I didn't enter the eBay bidding, you got a real bargain

A myrtle and redwood Covered Bridge 6 string concert pineapple is on my list! Ebony binding, fretboard, headstock trim, pegheads, and a Baggs 5.0. Maybe a personal soundhole too. :drool:

Top Bottom