First Uke

mark432

Reaction score
Hey all,

My brother wants to start learning the ukulele. I want to get him one for his birthday. Any recommendations for a first? The people at Guitar Center don't seem to know anything. I'm looking to spend about $100-200. Any advice?

Thanks!

Mark

Hey Mark, welcome to UU!

My 2cents is to stay away from Guitar Center for a ukulele. Do you have any other music stores nearby? If not, many bargains are to be had right here on UU (look for the marketplace thread). Decent brands that I have played for under $200.00 include Lanakai and Kala. A concert size uke is a good size to begin with (in between a soprano and tenor size). Best of luck in the search, I'm sure many others will give you some good advice so stay tuned!

Forgot to add, go to the forum main page and scroll down to Ukulele Marketplace. Listed will be ukes up for grabs with pictures and details on the uke. Buying from members here, you will most likely get a uke that has been set up properly and an honest opinion of the uke's sound-which takes the guess work out of buying "blindly" on the internet.

Guitar Center (San Diego) has some Cordobas and junk on a novelty rack next to checkout. Pretty sad.

Where are you located? Do you want to buy locally or mail order?

For $200 you can just get into an Islander. Lanakai easy. I agree with uke552 that Concert would be the way to go. Easier to get your fingers on than the smaller Soprano.

I suggest you contact Mim or Uke republic tell them what you are looking for and price range. It will come set up and ready to play. I have ordered from both of them and I think it would be the best way to go and get your brother the best possible uke for what you can spend..
Good Luck.

I certainly would recommend Mim, and she has a nice selection of Kalas in that price range.

She will set it up perfectly!

How old is your brother Mark, and do you have any idea of what he would expect, or like in a uke? How much value would he place on cosmetics vs sound quality?
Flashy looking, or plain? Pretty wood grain? What kind of music would he likely play?
Just as easy to get a uke that would have features he'd like.

I don't own one but I've been really impressed with the Oscar Schmidt ukuleles in your price range. If you're in the USA their website can point you toward a dealer. They're definitely worth a look.

Top Bottom