Ohana SK-30 Standard soprano --- Not long neck

jonnyuke!

Reaction score
Hi
I just bought an excellent conditioned Ohana sk-30 standard soprano (not the sk-30L long neck). It sounds really crisp and pretty loud and is head and shoulders better quality than the Ohana sk10 its replaced. But the only thing that concerns me is the lack of information about this model on the internet. Elderly.com mention it but have no pictures, and a tube from the far east shows a chap playing one with his friend but I cant understand them as they dont speak english. Does anyone have any links or history for me on the uke.
Cheers
John

It did not replace the SK-10. It is a much better instrument. All solid construction. It is no longer a current model however. The SK-35 replaced it. This has different binding.

The only 30 series we still make are the SK-30M, which has a concert neck, and the SK-30L, which has a tenor neck. Also, one of our hand-made tenor resonators uses the TK-30 as a body.

Hope this helps.

As a fan of all things Ohana, may I ask, Ken, what was different on the SK30? Because the 35 is about as perfect a uke as there is.

Thanks for the reply ken.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear in the original post, I had a sk10 and have replaced it with the sk30. It is just streets ahead. I would not have beleived the difference between them, but I still have my sk10 to compare with. Thanks for the reply again
Regards
john

I think the 30 series had off white binding. The 35 series have rosewood.
As a fan of all things Ohana, may I ask, Ken, what was different on the SK30? Because the 35 is about as perfect a uke as there is.
I've been comparing my SK30 with pictures of the SK35 and apart from cosmetic differences the main difference I can see is that my SK30 has 17 frets and the fret board reaches the sound hole where as the SK35 has 15 frets and the fret board stops short of the sound hole. i dont know if the extra two frets are of any real use, but I personally prefer the look of the SK30 with its off white binding and matt finish. I personally think they would still sell if put up against the SK35 at the same price as they have a subtle difference which will appeal to some.
I am glad I bought this one while I could. It has a real quality feal about it and the chords sound crisp even in the hands of a beginner like me.

Me to :) looking forward to catching your workshop at the ukes for unicef ken :)

Top Bottom