My first ever scratch build

kirc

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

I have to say up front I have no woodworking skills... my previous experience is just making a grizzly kit.

I have made a 'unique' ukulele from scraps of walnut... I think there ae 19 pieces in the headstock and about 10+ in the bridge which is made from lots of bits of thin wood glued up.

Its made from walnut with solid linings made from Lime. The fretboard was hand cut freehand... ohh err... took a few goes but got there in the end... Everything was done by hand with minimal hand tools - my favourite tool seems to be sandpaper lol

Anyway here's some pictures of the Ukulele I made on my kitchen worktop at home.

P1010270.jpg

P1010271.jpg

P1010272.jpg

P1010273.jpg

P1010274.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, sound please. Very interesting-kind of a square pineapple.

Actually its asymmetric in shape in a big way... but yes it is a pineapple...

I will do a sound sample once I get the bone saddle for it.. currently its on a cheap nasty plastic one.

I like your "innovative approach" approach. Do you have photo of the bracings for the top soundboard ? These braces are important to ensure good structural support.
You have the neck joint at fret#14 if I am not mistaken. And a fret zero for sure so you do not need a bone nut.

I don't have any other photo's other than those above. But one of them shows the bracing a bit. Your right about it having a zero fret, but the bone nut is not being used as a nut, its used only as a string spacer - something to keep the spacing correct, the slots in it are deep and wide and perform no other function. ;)

Looks great. would love to hear the sound.

Top Bottom