Exciting Score on EBay

allanr

Reaction score
Somebody in Switzerland was selling a Koaloha concert today with a Buy it Now price of only $280 including shipping.

The operative word of course being, "was", 'cause I jumped at it and bought it! It does have one minor issue in that a previous owner stuck a huge sticker on the back, which I will somehow need to remove.

I'll post more when it arrives.

Cool! There is something in the US called "Goo Gone" which is based on orange oil, not sure if it's available where you are. I use it to remove sticker goo.

Congratulations. If it shows up, that is. LOL

Good for you! WD-40 will remove it also...hasn't hurt anything I've tried it on so far.

Lighter fluid. It's magic at removing anything. Goo Gone smells really bad.

BTW seller has been on EBay since 2010 and has 100% positive feedback for 15 transactions. It'll show up :)

Cool. Good luck with the sticker removal.

Congratulations! BTW, if you post a link to the auction, those of us who can't wait to see your new ukulele could see the photos posted by the seller. :)

eBay suggests in its terms that you establish yourself as a buyer before you start selling, so he could just be following the rules. What a score, Koaloha concerts are epic.

For sticker removal, I usually start soft and work my way up.
Start by fingernail picking at the thing to see if it comes up easily. Warmth usually helps, unless it's the smeary-glue kind.
Resist the urge to scrape.

Water usually just softens the paper layer and leaves the adhesive layer stuck worse.

Some respond well to 90% isopropyl alcohol, which is pretty mild stuff.
Goo-Gone works great, but leaves its own mess and odor to clean up.
WD40 is mostly kerosene, and straight kerosene is a little hotter with less residue.

The problem with any of these solvent-based removals is that they would be pretty hard on most wood finishes. If it softened or uncured the urethane or laquor coating, you'd have a real mess on your hands.

I'd very very carefully test any solvent on a less visible spot, let it rest a bit, and see if it discolors. I'm not sure where you would find a less-visible spot, though.

I hope you get the item as he doesn't have any feedback as seller but at the same time, who would take advantage of ukulele players? :p
What exactly would be the recourse through eBay if the uke does not arrive?

I saw the listing too and nearly jumped on it, but then I thought: "Hey, I already HAVE a KoAloha concert." Congrats! You'll LOVE it!

About that sticker: whatever you use, be sure it won't hurt the finish. Try it out on a non-critical part first (maybe the bottom of the neck heel?) WD-40 "may" be OK, but the formula is a trade secret. Steer CLEAR of anything containing silicone oil. It'll basically bind to the finish more tightly than the gum residue will, eventually replacing the gum, allowing it to ball up and be wiped away. Problem is that it binds SO well to lacquer that if you ever need to refinish it, that you'll get cratering of the new applied finish. Looks like the surface of the moon and HARD to even out. Same warning goes for "Finger Ease" and many guitar polishes.

Other likely candidates for getting rid of the sticker may be VM&P Naptha or maybe Xylene. Try it on a hidden part first.

Honestly, I am not that worried. Seller has been communicating regularly. Item has been shipped. It'll get here eventually. He has double boxed it and double padded it too.

Wow, congratulations.

I checked the seller to see if he any others he might be selling....no such luck!

Top Bottom