Baby steps. What is next?

Freeda

Reaction score
So through reading UU I have been following what seems to be the concensus.

Step 1: buy a uke from mgm so it is already "set up".
Step 2: buy a two chord soundbook from aaron.

Is Step 3 to buy a humidified case? I was reading something about preventing damage through good humidity.

What's next?

Greetings!

Step 1: MGM now works for Hawaii Music Suppy. Well set up ukes can also be purchsed from Uke Republic, Mainland, and MIMs, with excellent customer service.

Step 2: Download a copy of Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp to learn and practice chords. Ukulele for Dummies is also an excellent book for "noobies".

Step 3: You may or may not need a humidifier depending on what uke you have and where you live. I live in Florida..no need for humidifiers.

Step 4: Join a club if one is nearby and Keep coming back to UU for new info,questions, etc. etc.

Step 5: Practice, Practice, and then Practice some more. Learning songs really easy "if" you learn your chords and practice chord changes until you can do it without looking. Trying to learn all that and the song at the same time veeeerrrrryyyy difficult for many of us. Good luck.

I'd add; find a style you like by listening to a lot of uke players. Youtube is full of them.

Then I would add, when you find a style you really like, find a beginner dvd or book. For me, it was fingerstyle, so I got Mark Kailana Nelson's Book which has a CD and graded songs from easy to difficult. I'm working through the book song by song. Really helps. And I'd add Ukulele For Dummies as it goes over styles and various strums and is a good beginner resource.

YouTube instructional videos by "Ukulele Mike" are the best I've found for a beginner. I find the many of the others a bit intimidating.

Jim B

All great advice given above!

I'd add UU+ to the lot.

Structured lessons with Aldrine with Ukulele Underground University replays. You can watch UUU 101 for beginners and go at your own pace up to UUU 103 where more advanced techniques are taught.
They have been very helpful to me!
Have fun!

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you, Freeda. :)

A correctly set up uke will save you hours of wondering if your uke is correct or even playable. I went with Concert because I have no idea what size I want, and this one is in the middle.

I got the most out of Uke For Dummies -- great organization, and a little sampling of everything. The play-along CD was very helpful.

Ukulele Mike on YouTube (who has, unfortunately, about two dozen names you have to find) is (IMHO) the best beginner instructor. He takes the time to explain everything he's doing and a little background. The number of songs he has up is incredible. Many of the "Uke Minute" stuff is just to brief/rushed/summarized to be helpful to a beginner.

Uke Fretboard Roadmaps is my next book.. still over my head, but I can see that the concepts in there are important.

Freeda, welcome!
This is all good advice. Yes to the humidifier up north in the winter, especially with a solid wood ukulele. Laminates, not so much.
If I'd had this advice when I started out, I woulnd't have wasted 3 months screwing around trying to learn stuff on my own... You were smart to come here first!
Good luck! And keep us posted...

Join UU forums ..check
Watch Ukulele Mike Videos for learning..check
Watch You Tube for inspiration and motivation..check
Get UAS Ukulele Syndrome Aquisation...check...
Get your cherub tuner... check
Put higher grade strings on your ukulele..check
Find chords and lyrics on line..check..
Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings

Join UU forums ..check
Watch Ukulele Mike Videos for learning..check
Watch You Tube for inspiration and motivation..check
Get UAS Ukulele Syndrome Aquisation...check...
Get your cherub tuner... check
Put higher grade strings on your ukulele..check
Find chords and lyrics on line..check..
Have fun and enjoy..Happy Strummings

All of the above PLUS.....have fun!!!!!

Top Bottom