Got my very first uke!!

apbt4life

Reaction score
So 2 days ago I got my very first Uke! Im so excited!! :D I got a Kala K-SEM and i think im in LOVE! lol... anyways im learning the basic notes and how to strum, im open to any tips or anything you all fee i should be learning or is important for a beginner to learn...thanks in advanced:)

Congrats! They are so fun, aren't they? I like Ukulele for Dummies because it has a little bit of everything in it plus a CD. From that you can springboard off to what you really want to learn. It has strumming patterns, styles, about ukes in general, songs, how to read tabs, a bit of everything.

Congrats! They are so fun, aren't they? I like Ukulele for Dummies because it has a little bit of everything in it plus a CD. From that you can springboard off to what you really want to learn. It has strumming patterns, styles, about ukes in general, songs, how to read tabs, a bit of everything.

totally agree with Gwynedd, another vote here for the 'Ukulele For Dummies' book. Easy to follow, very comprehensive and enough material to keep you going for ages! Congrats on your new uke. Happy days!!!! :)

Start playing 1 song you really like. Keep at it until you are satisfied. Then learn another.
Most of people (me included) find youtube videos very instructive.

Check out Mike Lynch on YT for some great lessons. http://www.youtube.com/user/MusicTeacher2010

... and have fun.

Happy New Uke Day! - I'd say not to worry about what other people can do, and just go at the pace that feels fun to you...

Also when you're first learning how to hold it, look at the instructions and look how other people are doing it, but then after that just stop thinking about it, and before you know it, your brain figured it out for you. :)

Congrats on your first uke!! Browse Aldrine's Uke Minutes and Aaron's Beginner Lessons for some of the basics. Focus on the tips for proper fretting, strumming & picking techniques. Try to minimize pressure in your fretting hand and practice chords by "pulsing" (let your fingers lift slightly off the frets) instead of clamping down on the chord for dozens of strums.

Congratulations and welcome! All of the suggestions above are good.

You might also check out chordie to look for a song that you like, and try to learn how to play it. Start with songs that have only 3 chords - most people find the chords C, C7, G, G7, F, & A/A7/A-minor easiest to play at first. The chords C, G, and F form the bulk of LOTS of popular songs.

Congrats! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do...

Congrats and welcome to UU!

Again, all suggestions posted before are great.
I'd add UU+ . It has all the replays of Ukulele Underground University, from 101 (the basics, to 103, more advanced). It has helped me alot!

Find what suits you the best and just have fun with your ukulele. :)

Congratulations and welcome! Kalas are great moderately priced ukuleles, and you should have lots of fun with yours. The resources that have already been mentioned are all good. Just keep playing. The most important thing in my experience was getting to the point where my brain talked directly to my fingers without my having to think about it. It sometimes seemed like it would never happen, but it did. Just keep playing!

Welcome to UU! You learn to play the uke the same way you get to Carnagie Hall. Practice,practice,practice! Try to play every day, even if it's only for 15 minutes if that's all the time you have. I have found Richard G's songbook excellent in learning songs (he's got 1,500 so far) that are easy for someone just beginning. Also Dr. Uke is great too. Do check out any of Brett's youtube videos from ukulele tricks. He teaches very slowly, and explains things really well. I am currently looking for a teacher in my area (Boston) but until then, youtube and UU are my instructors. Who ever coined the phrase "practice makes perfect" was right on the money. Good luck. Excuse me, I have to practice now. ;0)

Hi and congrats on the new uke and your new journey. I am fairly new to the ukulele but have been a guitar player most of my life so I can offer a couple suggestions. First, have fun with it, second, keep it interesting by learning new things daily, third, keep it out and handy so you see it, when you see it you'll want to pick it up. Finally, play every day, even if only for a little while. You will see improvement but be patient with yourself. It takes time but it will come and you'll be so happy you stuck with it. The ukulele has brough me a new appreciation for music and I am so happy when I play. But remember...have fun! That's what it's all about!

Top Bottom