E chord help!!!

koa

Reaction score
Bayview Township, Bayfield County, WI USA
Think I'm never going to be able to play E Chord (4442). In Aldrine's Lesson 2, "Summer Breeze" he barre 2nd fret and hits 444 with the ring finger. No way my finger joints will ever flex that way. 444 with middle,ring, pinky and 2 with index always sound bad. Outside of cheating (444x or x442) moving up the neck (4447) and avoiding any music with an E chord any other suggestions???

i use my middle finger to push on the 4th and the 3rd strings, and my ring finger on the 2nd string. then i use my index finger to bar the 2nd fret. however, i realize the barring does not have to be perfect because the 2nd, 3rd, and the 4th strings are already taken care of by my middle and my ring fingers. all i have to do is to push on the 1st string with the part of my index finger where close to the palm.
this technique serves me well hold chords like e chord.
hope this helps.

I'm a woman with small hands so I found the E chord impossible....'til I figured out if I come over the top with my thumb to bar the G C and E strings and catch the A string with my first finger it works, depending how quick you need to get to the next chord. I know this is totally wrong but it works for me.

try holding the A string with your index, and use your middle and ring to hold the rest. just two fingers. even with small fingers it still should be easy. although the way i do it i use my index on A and bar with my ring finger. even though the bottom string sometimes mutes, not that important.

concentrate more on barring the GCE strings with your ring finger and less on barring all four strings with your index. the only string that needs to be depressed with the index is the A string. so it should be fairly relaxed. so if you make a point of just barring the three strings with your ring finger, getting that last string with just the meat of your index shouldnt be hard. doesnt even need that much pressure. even if your index is slanted, as long as the A string is depressed at the 2nd fret, it should be fine. doesnt matter where the other strings might be depressed, since theyre already behind the ring finger depressing them.

Since the problem is that your 3rd or ring finger is too straight and won't bend to avoid muting the 1st A string, you may need to just play it by using all your fingers to fret the chord. First A string with the index finger, 2nd E string with the pinky, 3rd C string with the ring finger and the 4th G string with the middle finger. This fingering is found in some of the old Mel Bay guitar books.

Thanks all for the options.
Ukulady's suggestions acoustically sounds the best, but feels real weird and not sure about being able to transition from or to the E chord.
Dominator's suggestion is what I've been trying to do since picking up the uke +3 years ago and I still stink.
Ukeky & tsudawuda, a dahhh... moment. Not sure why I never even thought of your suggestions. Think it or Ukuladys idea might be the solution!! Time to practice, practice ........

One other variation is sort of a cheat but it often works just fine and because of its ringing open string can really enhance an arrangement. Play 4402, which means you are omitting the G# or third and doubling up on the root (E) and the fifth (B).

I have this same problem! I was so frustrated that I actually wrote a topic similar to this one. :D I can actually do it now... but it takes too much effort and makes my left fingers hurt. My fingers simply aren't made to bend that way, so I just end up muting that A string. It isn't too noticeable since it is a redundant note in the E chord.

Top Bottom