Observations from the ukulele store -- Collings/KoAloha/Kamaka/Martin

asleept

Reaction score
Appreciate all of the tips I've taken from the forum. First day ukulele shopping at the local shop, first time for a ukulele in the hand.

Collings UC1K was only so-so in output & resonance. Very surprised as I own a couple of Bill's guitars and they both shout & sing.

Collings UC2K much better volume but resonance was still not huge. I liked the playability of this one, though.

Ko'Aloha concert just screamed. Huge dynamics and nice resonance. Really liked the sound, less so the all-one-color look. Biggest sound in the store.

Kamaka -- 1960s soprano with great balance, almost as much volume as the concert Ko'aloha. Fit/finish was not as professional looking, but sound was great.

Martin -- old O style with a number of repairs, mahogany. Great sound, good balance. Not sure I like mahogany versus koa. Blends the sound a bit -- not as plucky as koas. So-so action. Still a more familiar uke strum sound than I thought I'd hear from this wood.

So an interesting first outing. Quite disappointed in the UC1K Collings and a little disappointed in the UC2K. Ko'Aloha concert definitely has my attention, as do the Kamaka sopranos. They had a Ko'Aloha Sceptre & Kamaka Pineapple that I'll try next time. Not sure I like gloss finish over matte for ukes.

I'm leaning soprano/koa because it seems to hold what I think is the "traditional" ukulele sound. The salesman I worked with owns 28 ukes ... I'll certainly be buying more than one. ;)

Last edited:
yeah, go a Kamaka HF-1 soprano for your first uke, you can't go wrong if that's the sound you're looking for.

Thanks much for your impressions mate, I can only dream of such a selection of ukes to cuddle first hand. Our local shop has coloured mahalos, a couple of anuenue's and a few kala's and lanikai's...

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the journey! :)

Welcome asleept. KoAloha has the concert size down. They are almost all fantastic. If you prefer the satin finish over the gloss, go with their Pikake concert. It has a straight cut fretboard and a satin finish. Less expensive too.

Regarding the Collings, I think that their Mahogany ukes are some of the best ukes made. They usually are loud and resonant. If you get a chance, I would try UC-1 if I were you. The only down side is that they come with Aquilla strings, which are not a good fit for their mahogany ukes. They really sing with Worth clears, especially low G, IMO.

KoAloha really has their act together...out of all the K brands, I think that sonically there is nothing wrong with a KoAloha. I personally would like a more interesting Koa for the wood, but for the sound I don't care about what it looks like. The soprano I had until recently was easily the loudest uke I owned.

I'll definitely be looking into their tenors when the time comes.

OP, I'd highly recommend looking into the mid-priced ukes as well. Ponos, Mainlands, and Ohanas are pretty impressive considering how much cheaper they are than Kamaka or KoAloha. Also, try and find a Kanilea tenor...they rock!

I second/third all of the positive comments regarding Koaloha concerts. I have one that is simply one of the best playing and sounding ukuleles I have...!!!

yeah, go a Kamaka HF-1 soprano for your first uke, you can't go wrong if that's the sound you're looking for.

Thanks much for your impressions mate, I can only dream of such a selection of ukes to cuddle first hand. Our local shop has coloured mahalos, a couple of anuenue's and a few kala's and lanikai's...

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the journey! :)
Yes I agree with you mate, he is lucky to have such a local store. Also to be able to play Before you pay. Lucky lucky you are asleept.

Can't believe how many raves I hear about a KoAloha Concert. Hope get to play one one day. Love to have one side by side with a Kanilea

Just here to talk about my little subjetive experience:
I already have 3 Koalohas: a soprano , a concert Pikake and a Tenor. When I have some mahogany fetish symptom, suddenly I play my Kiwaya KTS-4. Wow...
I just need to say that I don't need any ukes anymore. If I bought some others, it's just UAS consumism.

Last edited:
Can't believe how many raves I hear about a KoAloha Concert. Hope get to play one one day. Love to have one side by side with a Kanilea

While I don't have a Kanilea concert, I do have the superconcert, along with a pikake concert, and you'd think with just a difference in scale length, they'd be concerts that sound similar right? Wow, no. I think of it as the Kanile'a being of the earth, and the Koaloha being of the air. Just so lovely and so different. Both keepers!

That's quite an assortment for a "local" store. Where are you?

And that's quite impressive as well... a salesman who actually plays the instrument and knows about them. Probably won't find that at Guitar Center. :p
You started this thread asleept and we are waiting patiently for an answer to the above question regarding the location of this store with the salesman with all those ukes.

Top Bottom