Best DGBE Barione String Set?

FlyedPiper

Reaction score
So I've been banging away at my Makai bari I just got and the wound strings are already showing wear and tear.

I noticed a strange "hiss" on my G string when played open and I noticed it's becoming unwound at the third fret and a metal strand is rattling against the string :(. That didn't take long. I've only had it a couple of weeks! Those are the Aquilas it came with.

My question is what's the best set in your opinion? Or top two or three? I'd like my strings to last longer than 2 weeks! Thanks.

I use Fremont low G tenor on my Kent. The length is generous enough to fit the baritone and they are all black flouros.
I tune them DGBE even though they are supposed to be GCEA. Nice tone, give them a try. There will be others with hints and tips I am sure.
PS: Ryrod you type faster than me. HaHa!!

Can't tell you how many posts I've read that Southcoast strings made their baritone uke sound way better than it did with old strings.

Yeah, the problem is unless I'm mistaken they don't make a linear G set- wound strings or otherwise. Otherwise I would have bought them :(. I would consider their Bb tuning if I can't find anything else... I loved the Aquilas until they crapped out on me!

Anyone have experience with D'Addario's? Supposedly they don't turn black and fall apart like the aluminum wound strings.

Yes I can attest to the quality and sound of the Southcoast Strings and use them on all my Baris except in G (DGBE) tuning. They make a Heavy Gauge reentrant set in G which I have not tried, but I assume it would be in high D, which would negate the accepted G tuning with a low D. I do use both the D'Darrio J68 and the Ko'olau (SP) Golds, and really like both of them, with a slight preference for the Golds. The tension and sound seem better for me than the J68. Just my experience. Good Luck! Lozark

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Flyed & Lozark are correct, however, we don't make a linear (or low 4th) set for G tuning on a Baritone. We've never beleived in making strings that are less than we would use on our own instruments, and in spite of the fact that the Baritone was "designed" for that tuning, we've always felt that tuning was too low for truly first rate sound on that small a body.

Yes, we do have reentrant strings - DGBE - a no wound set - without the low D they are a nice match for the resonance of the Baritone body. Ditto for linear wound string sets in A tuning (G23s) and B flat (G650s). By the way, we select our wound strings for both sound quality and durability. They're also polished for less squeak.

We do Linear G tuning on our classical Tenor & Plectrum guitars. We much prefer that tuning on a bigger body.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dirk!

I have to admit the re-entrant G set is sounding better and better to me.

Top Bottom