Uke in Different languages

pebbleInDaPacific

Reaction score
Ok, so I was surfing through MGM's site on E-Bay and while I was on there, I did a search for UKE and among the many Ukulele items on sale, one was for a shirt with characters in Japanese which the seller says "UKE". Well, I was thinking, cool! and was thinking about buying it and wearing it when I make a video. My gut told me to check and make sure that this actually means what I thought it meant, especially in another language. Well, on Wikipedia, this is what it says when you search "UKE in Japanese"

Uke (manga); a manga/anime term for a submissive partner in a homosexual relationship.

So needless to say, I didn't buy the shirt. No offense to anyone, this is just an fyi. :D

In Hawaiian, I think "ook" is slang for something other than ukulele. I think that's why you hear Aldrine pronounce it "yook," but pronounces ukulele, "oo kuh le le."

Can anyone tell me what "ook" is slang for?

This should be the deach shirt

337135697.jpg

Uke (manga); a manga/anime term for a submissive partner in a homosexual relationship.

So needless to say, I didn't buy the shirt. No offense to anyone, this is just an fyi. :D

in Japanese, uke is actually pronounced, "ooh Kay"

that is funny though

In Hawaiian, I think "ook" is slang for something other than ukulele. I think that's why you hear Aldrine pronounce it "yook," but pronounces ukulele, "oo kuh le le."

Can anyone tell me what "ook" is slang for?

There's lots of Hawaiian folk on this board who can correct me if I'm wrong, but according to the Hawaiian folk I know here in Seattle it's slang for bosoms.

They could just be yanking my chain, of course, and I wouldn't know the difference.

picture.php

Can I just say I can't listen to Aldrine's "Red and Silky" anymore without the visual? I'm sure that's not quite the image he had when he wrote the song.

Sorry to go OT.

picture.php

Can I just say I can't listen to Aldrine's "Red and Silky" anymore without the visual? I'm sure that's not quite the image he had when he wrote the song.

Sorry to go OT.

:biglaugh: That picture still gets me everytime.

:biglaugh: That picture still gets me everytime.

what in the heck have i missed...and why in god's name is he wearing that....:confused:

Yea brah, deach is UU's sex symbol . . .

Top Bottom