Black Bear Vs Koaloha Soprano

sweetiecino

Reaction score
I currently have a Koaloha Concert and considering buying a Soprano and noticed that Koaloha and Black Bear are in similar price ranges and was wondering whether anyone could give some advice on their preference or any other brands I should consider in the same price bracket?

Don't get me wrong I Love Koaloha, but being that the soprano and concert are so close in sized would go for a black bear uke if I had to choose a 2nd uke and already have a Koaloha. The n
Black bear will be a nice contrast to the koaloha.

Just my opinion....

I can't imagine anything nicer than a KoAloha soprano...they kind of rule in the soprano/concert range. If you already have a KoAloha then it's more of a variety choice than a sonic choice, the soprano will sound a little more compressed than the concert but I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the same volume.

Black Bear make some very pretty sopranos, too. I would kill for one of their vintage-style sopranos!!

Black Bear would be my choice.

The black bear sopranos have huge volume, are warm, with incredible sustain and a rich tone, beautifully balanced...tone monsters. Ridiculously priced for hand built instruments.

I have both and am well pleased with both. I agree with what Eugene said above abouth the Black Bear sound. The KoAloha sound is a little fuller and to me playing it feels more island-y. If you have a KoAloha concert, I recommend a BB soprano. Price for a new one is now $450, but sometimes used ones appear on the Marketplace forum. You could post that you're looking for one.

Last edited:
Black Bear would be my choice.

The black bear sopranos have huge volume, are warm, with incredible sustain and a rich tone, beautifully balanced...tone monsters. Ridiculously priced for hand built instruments.

I have both and am well pleased with both. I agree with what Eugene said above abouth the Black Bear sound. The KoAloha sound is a little fuller and to me playing it feels more island-y. If you have a KoAloha concert, I recommend a BB soprano. Price for a new one is now $450, but sometimes used ones appear on the Marketplace forum. You could post that you're looking for one.

+1 on the BB recommendation and what they said. Either would be a great koa soprano.

You should look at Kiwaya sopranos too. Not koa, but beautiful sweet mahogany. Super light and great balance. They make koa ukes too, but a higher price point. It would be different than your KoAloha, but you might want that.

I have a Kiwaya soprano KS-0, thinline, and I really enjoy it. The state of the art laminate ukulele. Build is exceptional. Same as WS64 is playing here.

Not reading the entire message, I was like - he's WS64?? It's late. Or early, depending on how you look at it.

I'd go with the BB because I heart my Koaloha concert, so why not go with a different sound so that I never have to make a hard choice as to which to pick up. I started with the Koaloha soprano, and I love the concert just that little bit more.

I have a KoAloha concert and then got a Black Bear soprano and really liked the Black Bear. I then picked up a used KoAloha soprano and sold the Black Bear. Don't get me wrong the BB was a hell of an instrument, but I just dig the KoAloha sound. I loved the look and build of the BB, but I never really played it after getting the KoAloha soprano.

I would put both companied at the top of the uke list. However, I think it you really love KoAloha then anything else will fall short. Well, except a Kanilea tenor.

Thanks again for everyone's opinion...now I just need to decide =)

Top Bottom