connecting uke to the computer or amp (the ghetto way?)

Reaction score
i have an electric guitar and amp and stuff. i was really tempted to purchase an electric uke but my wallet said no. i ended up getting a 50 dollar kala makala which works good to me. i saw on ebay some mini mic (disk) thing that you can tape inside the hole or near it, and it has a connection to go to an amp or connect to the computer. (something like that but i don't remember, the sale is gone) does anyone have any experience trying this?

im supposed to use it for a wedding and really don't want to have to put a mic right up to it :(

im supposed to use it for a wedding and really don't want to have to put a mic right up to it :(

Personally, I'd reconsider that. A cheap ol' SM58 planted in front of your uke will sound better than most pickups and stick-on mics, IMNSHO.

JJ

hmm wow thanks for the quick responses. i guess it's because i come from guitars and hated the idea of having two mic stands on me one for the guitar and one for singing. thanks for the links also. i can compare prices now...

Nothin' cheap about SM58s. They've been the industry standard stage mic for a long time, and there's a good reason for that. They're awesome. Best bang for buck you can get in a dynamic.

SM58's are great, I agree. But you're going to be at the mercy of the sound system at the wedding. If they don't know what they're doing, you're screwed.

I have used the SM58 and SM57 and out of those two I do prefer the SM57 for uke - though the SM58 works. The JTS version of this SM57 mic is the one we use at our uke club - and is great too. I have tried various multi-patterned, omnidirectional mics and did not get the sound I was looking for.

For recording onto your computer, I like the Samson G-track Mic for ease of use, though you will have to adjust the volume levels on the mic and software to accomodate for the uke sound (low volume). You don't need anything else but that G-track mic and the included software.

If you want a pickup that's cheap and relatively easy to install, have a look at the Shadow UK110 (I believe that's the code). All you need to do is drill two holes (and fiddle on the inside of your uke). No soldering involved which is always a bonus.

Top Bottom