PDA

View Full Version : I'iwi Tenor Ukulele For Trade

Dan Uke
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi guys,

I have a dilema where I only have tenor ukes and I really want to get a nice concert uke but don't have the funds right now. I originally ordered two from Brad Donaldson, Tenor and Concert but had to cancel the concert due to unexpected expenses. I also have a Koaloha Tenor but my wife won't let me sell it as that was my 40th Bday present. The I'iwi blows it away but since the Koaloha is from my wife and it was my first uke, I am stuck with it.

This I'iwi has a crack that has been repaired and cleated and also has a slight crack the center but the luthier said that it would not be a problem since it's connected to the endblock. I started a thread where it had a slight buzz so two luthiers did an overhaul on the uke so it sounds and plays fabulous (compensated saddle, reglued braces, tied and supported wires, leveled and crowned fret, glued potential loose frets, checked nut, improved string angle w/ new holes in bridge). The culprit was a loose washer on the endpin jack...simple solution but so hard to find!! This uke also comes with Fishman Prefix Pro which is a $300 pickup system plus installation.

I love the sound of this uke and top is Spruce with Koa side and back. Grover tuners and it has top binding but not sure what type of wood. It was made in 2002 and based on my luthier, he believes that frets were replaced since there are small chips by some frets. This uke must have good mojo for the prior owner to replace the frets and has some worn out wood. There is also a sticker inside from Destiny Music, which was part of Pearl Community Church.

Anyways, since I have three tenors, I would like to trade for a concert uke, prefer superconcert. It will come with Uke Crazy Hard Foam Case. Since I'iwi has 9.5" lower bout, it will not fit in Uke Crazy Basket Weave Case. Thanks for looking.

Dan Uke
02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
More Pics and I posted a video. Horrible playin as I got really nervous. It was my first take so please excuse the noise and lost of concentration. I should have at least written a songlist instead of trying to play parts of songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5iAUhwWr3I&context=C323c529ADOEgsToPDskKUMnolLpjSo6j0MUdYi_zk

strumsilly
02-21-2012, 02:45 AM
So sorry you have to be stuck with the Ko'aloha. since this is an unusual instrument , give us some idea of its value so we don't accidentally insult you with a trade offer. that uke sounds so sweet , you need to keep it, you'll be sorry once it's gone.
I hope I can play that horribly some day.

SuzukHammer
02-21-2012, 04:54 AM
I would have to practice to play that horribly. I am just hoping for devine powers to be bestowed to me instead of the practice it takes to play horribly.

Smiley
02-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Very nice playing on a sweet sounding and beautiful instrument. Best wishes with a trade.

dkcrown
02-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Sent you a PM

PhilUSAFRet
02-21-2012, 05:49 AM
I would have to practice to play that horribly. I am just hoping for devine powers to be bestowed to me instead of the practice it takes to play horribly.

?????????????

PhilUSAFRet
02-21-2012, 05:50 AM
sweet sounding uke!

Dan Uke
02-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Hi guys...first of all, Koaloha is a great instrument. What I should have stated is that I had Carte Blanche when buying my first instrument and had no idea so I just bought a Koaloha Tenor without ever playing a ukulele. It's not often in life when your wife says buy whatever you want so I'm coming on that basis. I would have gotten a custom uke if I had known better.

I got several pms and thanks for the interest. I will get to them as like Strum said, I don't want to regret selling. There are lots of Kamakas, Koalohas, etc out there but not too many I'iwi Ukuleles.

Currently strung w/ Worth Hard Low G and D'addarios T2. I had all T2s but the Low G was too overpowering on the Koaloha, so I switched the strings. My favorite strings are the Pro Arte but wanted to give the T2s a try. Also, I would get low G for Pro Arte but don't know which one works as I just buy the ukulele set.

Best balance Low G strings I've tried are the Southcoast 650 Flat wound but didn't work for me on this uke because the strings are so thin, it shows my lack of skills. The frets are thin and low so you have to have good technique, which I don't have for chords. Loved the sound but gotta practice more.

Dan Uke
02-22-2012, 01:22 PM
I played it again last night and decided gonna keep it for now. Thanks for all who PM me. I decided to take the next step and eventually get an amp when I have more funds. That was one of the main reasons I was going to sell it since the temptation of buying would alway be there if I had a uke w/ pickup. It looks like my tenor with Brad will ahve a pickup so no turning back now! Thanks for all the kind words about the uke.

Dan Uke
02-22-2012, 01:23 PM
The thread is now closed