Undercutting fret tangs

Liam Ryan

Reaction score
I just trimmed the tang back on a set of frets to allow for the fingerboard bindings. I used a dremel cut off wheel then a mill file. It took far longer than I wanted it to.

I know the guitar guys use a tool that trims the tang off. I think I've heard that the trimmer doesn't work on the smaller uke fret wire.

So is there an easier way?

I find the StewMac nipper saves so much time. Just refretted a guitar and, once again, was thankful for the wee thing.

A bit expensive, but one refret pays for it.

Before designing their own, StewMac used the Klein nibbler available at Radio Shack. You have to disassemble the nibbler and file a groove in to the plate. That information should be readily available on the internet. SM used to offer instructions on how to modify them for different fret wire sizes.

I've been using the LMII tang removal gizmo with results I'm happy with. It does leave a mark on the fretwire where you clamp it down though, but cleans up when I dress the frets. I think it would be a pain in butt if I used several sizes of frets...

I use the Lmi tool as well. If you grind down the base plate a little bit you can use it on smaller fretwire.

I use the Stewmac tool. I got the medium size nipper and it works well for narrow too. Definitely worth the money!!
For narrow wire it works best squeeze the handle to apply a bit of pressure on the fret....make sure everything is lined up well and then squeeze quickly to cut the tang cleanly.

I use the Stewmac tool. I got the medium size nipper and it works well for narrow too. Definitely worth the money!!
For narrow wire it works best squeeze the handle to apply a bit of pressure on the fret....make sure everything is lined up well and then squeeze quickly to cut the tang cleanly.

And no touch-up hand filing is required at all?

I've got the Stewmac tool, and while it works a treat on guitar size wire. It's completely and totally useless at nipping the uke wire.

I've tried lots of different ways of trimming the end of the tang, and found that the quickest has been to use a good set of sharp end cutters. One small nip on the underside of the crown of the wire (tang to crown junction) and then another little nip to take off the bit. Very fast and clean.

After watching Svens video demo of how he was installing frets by dressing ends prior to hammering them in, I switched to that method to give it a try, and must say I'm sold. A little tricky to get them right to start with, but once you get the hang of getting the lengths spot on it makes for a really nice fret job.

Heh. How very nice to have given you the inspiration! I think I'll treat myself to another Ardbeg.

Sven

I was thinking Ardbeg must be a beer, then I had a look and see it's a single malt whiskey....Oh Sven, you and I are going to get along just fine.;)

Ardbeg is the malt to end all other malts. Heaven in a bottle. (Albeit a rather thunderous, threatening old-testament style heaven.)

Now, where were we on this topic about... was it frets? Bracing?

Top Bottom