Song writing game

BluesDrive

Reaction score
This is just me, but I thought it'd be cool if we did like, a song writing game every week or so. Maybe like, somebody picks a topic and the next guy has to write a little song and then name a topic, and so on and so forth. I just think it's good practice, and it's not too complicated. A lot of times I'll do what I call "freesinging" with friends. Just play 4 chords and start freestyling, but in singing form. It's just practice, in my opinion.

Ideas? And what do you guys think about doing such a thing?

how does this work? do we post a video or something? :confused:

Have you guys ever heard of songfight.org? That's what this reminds me of. This is a great idea to get the creative juices going. I don't think we should be confined to a particular set of lyrics, though. The way songfight works is there is a new song title every couple of weeks, and you have the liberty to be creative and create any type of song as long as it features the title or is about the title. Another fun thing would be to vote on our favorite, but I understand if we want to keep competition out of it.

Have you guys ever heard of songfight.org? That's what this reminds me of. This is a great idea to get the creative juices going. I don't think we should be confined to a particular set of lyrics, though. The way songfight works is there is a new song title every couple of weeks, and you have the liberty to be creative and create any type of song as long as it features the title or is about the title. Another fun thing would be to vote on our favorite, but I understand if we want to keep competition out of it.

That sounds cool.

The Game Begins

Ok everyone, I'm going to attempt to get this game going. I don't mean to commandeer this, but I have some ideas so I'll give it a shot. First, some rules of the game:

1.) All songs are due by the assigned date.
2.) Songs must pertain to the topic of the week. It can be the song title and not actually be mentioned in the song as long as there is a connection. It can be the chorus. Or it can just be a line in one verse, as long as the song is still relevant. The idea is that the topic is a memorable part of the song, so interpret that however you will. Instrumental songs are allowed, if you think you can successfully capture the mood of the topic.
3.) After all songs are submitted, we will open up the polls for voting. This is just for fun, so don't take things too seriously. Please vote only once. Vote for the one that you believe deserves your vote. This can be based on singing ability, song writing, recording quality, or just who you like the most.
4.) Even if you're not the greatest singer, you can still participate. As was just mentioned, voting is not strictly about singing. This is just a fun way to get some song writing practice.
5.) Ukuleles are preferred but not required. By this I mean, try to write on the ukulele, but since this is the "song writing game" and not the "ukulele song writing game," if you want to do one on guitar or something else every now and again, that's acceptable. If you do another instrument, try to capture the ukulele "vibe."
6.) The winner of each week will choose the topic for the next.
7.) Have fun with it.

Please record as mp3 if at all possible. If not, send me a link to the video file. The idea is to host all of the songs on one site, but if youtube is the way you can do it then we'll figure something out.

In the spirit of not completely hijacking this thread, the topic of the week is Haggis (A Savory Scottish Dish). Topics do not always need to be silly - feel free to go in any direction when it's your turn to choose.

This song is due: 12:00 pm Friday, February 13th.

For the time being, email all submissions as attachments to sean_e_mak@hotmail.com. I would like to make this a self-sustaining entity within the next couple of weeks, where you upload your own song to the appropriate site each week, but until I smooth everything out I'll do it myself.

The format of the mp3 should be yourbandname_songtitle.mp3

Last edited:
Hey I Want To Do This!!

I can't keep up with the flood of posts on UU and I just now see this idea thread. This is a wonderfully helpful idea. Thanks for resurrecting the topic Weasel. I think I'll just read the songwriting section from now on. Are there still people up for a weekly writing challenge? Here are some ideas of the way we could do things:

1. Write a song based on an image, poem, title, word, news event, etc.
2. Start a first line and then have others add one line at a time.
3. Pick one, or two, or three, or twelve chords and make some words.
4. Pick a familiar melody and add new words.

This list could be expanded with new ideas forever really.

For me the hard part is getting this stuff recorded, but I think I could keep up with a weekly writing challenge as long as recording was optional. Are any of you up for this?

Are there still people up for a weekly writing challenge? Here are some ideas of the way we could do things:

1. Write a song based on an image, poem, title, word, news event, etc.
2. Start a first line and then have others add one line at a time.
3. Pick one, or two, or three, or twelve chords and make some words.
4. Pick a familiar melody and add new words.

that sounds pretty good to me,especially the 1st and the 4th,,,
I use to write sometimes based on the title,,,,it;s even more interesting to me rather than titling it in the end

Top Bottom