I played a 1920s Gibson Style 3 yesterday.

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
My wife, who doesn't tend to care or notice these things, said "Wow, that's the best sounding ukulele I've ever heard. Maybe you should get it." She was less encouraging when I showed her they wanted $1,750 for it (it was in average condition).

It did sound amazing, though.

You should have bought it for you wife!

Was this by any chance the one at The Denver Folklore Center? If so, I played it back in September, and yes, it's a fantastic-sounding instrument. I would have bought it then and there if I thought my wife wouldn't murder me. I ended up getting one the same vintage and in as good or better condition on eBay for half the price. Now, I must say that I do think this instrument is worth what they're asking for it. It's every bit the equal of any of my Martins (although quite different), and is probably a lot more rare. I don't know the numbers, but I am sure Martin made a whole lot more ukes than Gibson ever did.

Last edited:
Tarman,

Ssshhhhhhhhh....

Shhhhhhhsssshhh.....

I plan to visit Denver this year.

Here's the one in Denver: IMG_0235.jpg

And here's mine: IMG_0509.jpg

I love mine to death, but it doesn't sound NEARLY as good as the one in Denver, which was incredible.

Ok, looking at your other posts, I now KNOW that it's the same ukulele. Unless, by some chance, there are TWO Gibson Uke 3s in Denver, BOTH of which are selling for $1750. That seems unlikely....

Yeah, I saw that one before but I saw it when I was out of work and then just starting my new job--- so.... I left it .

Don't tell them about the other ukes there.

Yeah, I played one in Nashville about a year ago. That ukulele... was... heaven. It sun like nothing I've ever touched before.

I played this uke in Denver last year. I wasn't a soprano player at all--had never even held one. I only played tenor. When I strummed this one I was amazed. It has a thick, chunky neck, and a settled, resonant sound. Now I am a soprano man, but I am not going to buy this uke, so go at it, fellas.

shega

Update: I played this again last week. It does not have a chunky neck like I remembered, but a slim neck. Also, it sounds good, but it is not pure magic like I remembered. It was the first soprano I had tried, and now I have played more. For the money, I don't think it would be worth it to me, although it does have a very nice sound.

Here's the one in Denver: View attachment 34045

And here's mine: View attachment 34046

I love mine to death, but it doesn't sound NEARLY as good as the one in Denver, which was incredible.

Wow, that is really cool looking!
Is it black? Or a mottled brown/black color?
The inlays remind me of diamonds ands clubs from a deck of playing cards, so it has some kind of weird, quasi Vegas vibe.

It's a dark-stained mahogany . Sort of walnut colored. The inlays are the Gibson equivalent of a Martin Style 5's. A lot of "Art Deco bling".

Top Bottom