what do you guys carry in your music bag?

kaizersoza

Reaction score
just wondering what sort of things you guys carry around in your music bag/case apart from your uke, for example in my bag at the moment i have got my songsheets book, my ukulele for dummies book, a music theory book, fretboard roadmap, my strap (ukeleash), a nail file a tuner, a kazoo, a capo, a leather plectrum, a stick on pick up, small screw driver, spare strings and a cleaning cloth, phew!!!

Last edited:
just wondering what sort of things you guys carry around in your music bag/case apart from your uke, for example in my bag at the moment i have got my songsheets book, my ukulele for dummies book, a music theory book, fretboard roadmap, my strap, a nail file a tuner, a kazoo, a capo, a leather plectrum, a stick on pick up and a cleaning cloth, phew!!!

Wow! In my uke case I have my ukulele, a tuner, and two extra sets of strings. I carry a notebook with song sheets. That's about it!

This is a fight back to the girls "what do you keep in your handbag" thread isn't it!:D

I have a hard case, so not much room for extras, but I have my uke (obviously), a kazoo, a few felt picks, a couple of leather picks, a tuner and some nut files. Usually have spare strings too, but I'm out at the minute. Music sheets are in a separate folio.

I have one of those heavy LL Bean canvas tote bags for this stuff...

• Big binder of song printouts
  • The Daily Uke Book
  • Rise up Singing Book
  • Folding Music Stand
  • Tuner
  • Capo
  • Shakey Egg

I keep extra strings and the strap in the pouch on the actual uke case/bag

My uke, a capo, a spare set of strings, a nail file and sometimes a few loose pieces of music.

...nut files! That's the first I've ever heard of anyone regularly carrying around nut files in their case.

My case can't accommodate too much, but I have (as best as my memory can recall):

Inside:
1. My ukulele
2. The humidifier (one of the Oasis "in the body" humidifiers)
3. Three sets of extra strings
4. The humidifier syringe

Outside pouch:
1. Winder/cutter tool
2. Uke Leash
3. Cleaning cloth
4. About 10 - 15 sheets of songs that I'm trying to learn

Of course, since I'm not a travelin' musician, I can get away with not having too much in the case. But, just like my tackle box or my under-saddle bike bag, it is very convenient having all the important stuff all in one place.

I gave up carrying a lot of stuff when I made the Uke my primary instrument over guitar. I travel light: Uke, case, 1 set of extra strings, tuner... if I can't do it with that, I'll stay home :)

Chap stick.

I've given away my tuner. But next time I go back to dad's, I'll have a tuning fork; I'm trying practice tuning by ear, although I can use a tuner on my laptop at home. I might take the plunge and buy another tuner though.

Uke leash made by the chap that runs the workshop.

Comedy uke leash made by one of my neighbours (dropped off ten minutes ago!)

One set of strings.

Emergency £10 note, should I feel the need for a sneaky post-parandial.

I keep my three best ukes in hardcases and my Peanut in the original gig bag (anyone knows a hardcase that fits the Peanut btw?). For my soprano - the uke I most often take out of the house to play with others - I alternate between a supercute tweet case and a less cute waterproof one (English weather...)

In the soprano cases, I always bring at least a tuner and a microfiber cloth. Sometimes also a nail clipper, a capo and a uke leash.

In the banjo uke case - also one I take out to town but less often - I keep another tuner, another microfiber cloth, and then also an extra bridge (not sure why), a thumb pick, two Alaska fingerpicks, a shoulder strap and a banjo head tuning screw-driver thingy.

In the concert uke case, there's a microfiber cloth and that's it. Need to get a new tuner for that one, the current one is broken. It doesn't leave the house much for now though.

And finally in the Peanut gig bag, I have an stereo audio cable, a strap (not the original one, that one worked best with the banjo uke), earbuds and a felt pick. I should also get an extra tuner and a guitar cable, and I'm good to go. I just got the Peanut so it hasn't been out of the house yet since I got it.

The beater just lives on the couch next to my drum practice pad and a pair of drum sticks. No accessories.

I also have one of these pub table hooks that allow you to hang your uke on a table edge, a glass slide and a few mini songbooks I made out of prints and photocopies in A5 format. These don't fit in the cases though, so if I ever bring them along (which doesn't happen too often), then they go in my purse instead. I never carry around any of my fret and string cleaning things, nor any extra strings.

Man, I hadn't realised I had so many accessories!

I have a backpack full of stuff I carry to any jams.

Binder full of songs, chord book, guitar chord book (yeah that's right guitar), uke thong type thing, kazoo, nail clipper + file, chap stick, tiny first aid kit, 2 tuners, leather picks, microfiber cloth, screw driver set, and something to put on my head in case of random open mic sighting. Hat, tiara, something like that.

Besides the various binders with chord sheets. I have: extra strings, an instrument cable, a direct box, a mic cable and I always carry a recorder, (Tascam DR-1).
dp

All that really goes in any of the uke cases are the uke, a tuner, and a humidifier (or two); The Sceptre also gets 3 microfiber cloths for padding and a hygrometer.

If I'm going to the Uke club, I also carry a large canvas bag with: Looseleaf notebook of songs, 2 or 3 large USPS envelopes with copies of songs to pass out, meile ukulele stand, orcas ukulele hanger, music stand, Daily Ukulele, chord chart, and whatever book with songs I'm currently working on.

There's a second canvas bag with other uke songbooks, printouts, the Fretboard Roadmaps, several of the Beloff songbooks, and severl old copies of Sing Out! magazine.
I also have a couple of large plastic tubs that have a Vox Mini-3, extension cord, power strip, Shure mixer, several Shure SM-58 microphones and cords, XLR-1/4 adapters, folding stool, and 3 microphone stands (2 boom, 1 std.) if the need arises.

-Kurt​

Depends for day practice at work..just uke, tuner, I have all the music on computer...but for travel for a few days, then I include way too much, including, practice books, chord charts, perhaps percussion instruments for my friends to play, my laptop... I just never learned to travel light....

I always have an extra set of strings, a Snark tuner, a microfiber cloth, extra battery for the tuner, nail clipper, and nail file. When I go to class, I also add in my songbook, music stand and folding uke stand, if I'm not in class, I use my iPad for song sheets. And depending on the occasion, I add an instrument cable and strap or uke leash.

Last edited:
Wow - I had no idea so many people carried kazoos with them. Maybe I need to buy one. My current out and about uke is a Flea and in it's too-big-for-it bag I just have the Flea, a lanyard, a tuner and a Fred Kelly freedom pick. I carry another bag with the Daily Ukulele, a binder full of sheet music, a pencil and a folding music stand. I also stick my purse and a water bottle in there.

Nix

my tuner, uke, music, music stand

Top Bottom